Removing an anaerobic substrate?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Removing an anaerobic substrate?

Post by catfishchaos »

Well in preparation for the new project () Im going to tear down my 55 gallon and build it from the bottom up again to correct some mistakes I made in the initial set up. The main problem is that my substrate has turned into 80 pounds of anaerobic layer. There will be no fish in the tank (im dropping the 3 ich surviving tetras at the lfs) so fish health is not a concern. Now I would like to take the tank outside for a thorough rinsing, however I don't think that possible with that substrate in there. If I remove it indoors would there be some health risk? For myself or any other creatures that inhabit the space or will it just stink up the room for a few nights (not a problem...)?

Regards
James
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Removing an anaerobic substrate?

Post by Bas Pels »

In an anaerobic substrate, sulfurous chemicals can be found. The most important one is H2S, the smell of rotten eggs. Over 90 % of the harmfull molecules is H2S

This stuff is not good at all, but one can smell it easily. We have, in the Netherlands, a list of rules for people who work with chemicals. These are based on 40 years of work, working 40 weeks a year and working 40 hours a week. The idea is, an amount of the chemical in the air is acceptable if this lifelong exposure does not do harm.

For H2S this amount is slightly more than the treshold for smelling it. It is the only compound we can safely smell.

So, assuming you have a good smelling organ, you could savely go to work. Still, it would be better to just ventilate the room.

Further, you could leave some water on top of the substrate, and remove the substrate under water. This would lead to far less H2S in the air, as H2S does dissolve rather good
cats have whiskers
catfishchaos
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

Thanks Bas!

I'll be sure to leave a layer of water over the substrate and I do plan on cross ventilating the room while I work.

When you ask about the condition of my smelling organ, id there a different smell it makes if its in a more toxic state?
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

No, H2S smells like rotten eggs. Better put, if you smell rotten eggs, you smell H2S. But some people, like my brother, don't smell it.

Therefore, if you happen not to smell it, you should not rely on your nose
cats have whiskers
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Thanks for clarifying!

Return to “Tank Talk”