What are these bumps?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
woodlikm
Location 1: Gainesville, FL
Location 2: Alachua, FL

What are these bumps?

Post by woodlikm »

Hello,

So I was gifted this catfish (mottled brown bullhead I think?) that was caught in the wild about 4 years ago in Gainesville, FL. Upon transferring it from a friends house to mine (with the original tank, filter, water, and substrate) I noticed these small uniformly distributed bumps all over the fish. I tried googling what they were but came up empty handed. I work in fisheries but know very little about catfish. If this is a disease, I'd like to try and treat it. I have access to antibiotics and other treatment options through my work. Please let me know if anyone has any idea what they are.

Thanks.

Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Re: What are these bumps?

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

bullhead.jpg
bullhead2.jpg
Last edited by Dave Rinaldo on 20 Jan 2016, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

These are sensory mechanisms, you will notice they are almost in a pattern and will follow the lateral line.

You can also see them here on this fish.. http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... ge_id=9444

And yes you are correct, this is the southern mottled form of .

Birger
Birger
woodlikm
Location 1: Gainesville, FL
Location 2: Alachua, FL

Post by woodlikm »

Thank you! That was my first thought but some co-works thought it might be a parasite similar to yellow grub. I appreciate the feed back.

Return to “Tank Talk”