3 100 litre tanks, a rack. Can 1 of the tanks be a sump, a plant growing tank or ammonia dosed filter maturing system?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

3 100 litre tanks, a rack. Can 1 of the tanks be a sump, a plant growing tank or ammonia dosed filter maturing system?

Post by pleconut »

Hi folks, Im after some information, I've acquired three 100 litre tanks and a rack for my fish room. The three tanks to go on the rack is a three storey setup, but I'm not wanting more than two storeys of three hundred litres worth of tanks stacked too high, plus it would be very difficult for me to access the top one if I'm keeping/breeding fish in it. I have some options here. Have the third one at ground level as a sump to supply filtration to the two above it, as a plant growing tank for the rest of the fish room, or even as an ammonia dosed filter maturing system for internal, sponge filters and maybe substrate. So I'm hoping to get some technical info in this thread for all of the three choices, I'm inclined at first to go with the third, at least until the fish room is complete and the tanks are all running, then maybe using it as a plant tank afterwards. The sump option would obviously mean i would keep the temp at a certain level and if i needed a different temperature in the tanks, to add a separate heater as required. Obviously I'd have to keep fish in the tank with same parameter requirements. I'd very much appreciate any tips, ect.
Thanks Teresa
Forester
My cats species list: 5 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Silver Spring, MD
Location 2: United States

Re: 3 100 litre tanks, a rack. Can 1 of the tanks be a sump, a plant growing tank or ammonia dosed filter maturing syste

Post by Forester »

I would advise that you just go ahead and use all three for fish. Using a step stool really isn't that bad. If you have the bottom tank a little lower than it shouldnt be as hard yo access the top one. You will probably regret it if you don't have that tank space available. I have tanks stacked 4 high on one rack and though it is hard to access having the space really is worth it. Just my two cents.

Return to “Tank Talk”