Filtration and flow

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
the guy
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Langley British Columbia

Filtration and flow

Post by the guy »

I plan on a 20 gallon long tank using Eheim 2236 echo canister filter, is it over filtering? Yes it is I guess but from what I have read my L333 tiger pleco's do a lot better in clean fast moving water which that model Eheim will deliver in both cases. Am I heading in the right direction, Thoughts anyone? ;))
Mind over Matter is an easy way to live your life. " If you don't mind it don't matter" :YMPEACE:
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Filtration and flow

Post by naturalart »

I have never kept L333's but even though I would say you are heading in the right direction, I think 200gph on a 20g is just a little excessive. If you dont have the option of switching too a slightly smaller filter, I would probably 'deflect' some of the outflow too more 'passive functions (like aeration and/or counter flow) as oppose to it all being dedicated to linear flow. I would also make sure there were plenty of 'quiet pockets' and fissures where the fish can get out of the flow whenever they want. Also a longer head tube on the outflow can slow things down as well. My 2¢
the guy

Post by the guy »

Thanks for the input, I do have a 2232 eheim maybe I should try that out and see if 127gph will do job, to be honest I was kinda wondering if the 2236 would be a little too excessive. I'm at the trial and error stage now as I'm just starting the build. I'm wondering if I should go BB or use some sand. Right now these guys are in the 15g long tank I got with the setup with about 1/2" of sand and they seem to like fluttering the sand with their tails to get under and around bog wood and rocks. My opinion is that in their natural habitat they do have sand, stones and bog wood so I did plan on using a little sand to recreate a river bottom. what do you think?
Mind over Matter is an easy way to live your life. " If you don't mind it don't matter" :YMPEACE:
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I don't see any problem with the water going arond 10 times in an hour. In fact I got a tank weith precisely that value (although it contains 300 liters and the pump is 3000 l/hr).

L333 comes from fast moving water, and I once read fast moving is 1.25 meters a second. Most likely this comes from 4 feet a second, which is a value you will certainly not get. Therefore, I would not worry about overfiltering
cats have whiskers
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Post by naturalart »

"the guy", I would try Bas's suggestion first; with the only caveat that a 20gL is a very different tank than a '80g'.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
the guy wrote:... I'm wondering if I should go BB or use some sand. Right now these guys are in the 15g long tank I got with the setup with about 1/2" of sand and they seem to like fluttering the sand with their tails to get under and around bog wood and rocks. My opinion is that in their natural habitat they do have sand, stones and bog wood so I did plan on using a little sand to recreate a river bottom. what do you think?
I'm not a fan of BB personally, although a lot of people use it successfully with spp.

You can mix sand and gravel together and then let the current sort it. In areas of high flow you get gravel, and where the flow is slower sand. If the flow clears the gravel all the way down to the glass, just add a couple of rounded cobbles.

In an area where the really fine sand has collected you can put a piece of slate, and then siphon all the organic debris (faeces etc) that collects there from the top of it.

I don't want my filter to act as a syphon, so I have a pre-filter sponge to exclude bulky organic debris, and I syphon the debris out

The sand pattern also helps you move the filter venturi/spraybar and/or power-head around until you get the current where you want it (across the front of a cave etc.).

I got this idea from Haarvard Stoere's http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/memb ... ile&u=3525 threads on PlanetCatfish.

cheers Darrel
the guy

Post by the guy »

Hey everyone thanks for all your suggestions and help, it's very much appreciated.
Here's a picture of one of my L333 or L66 :-?? I bought these guys from deceased hobbyist's family and some of my fellow hobbyists and myself think they are L333 or L66 what's your thoughts?
Update: June 8th
So today I spoke with a very close friend of Kevin the deceased hobbyist who is also a hobbyist and my aquarium mutual friend as well.
She informed me that these King Tigers are for sure L66's and that they were special ordered by Kevin.
I finally know now for sure what I have thanks to Brittany's close friendship with Kevin.

Return to “Tank Talk”