Compatibility?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Narelle
I've donated: $44.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:4)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Compatibility?

Post by Narelle »

So I am looking at getting some Parosphromenus nagyi, and might need to do a little reshuffling to accomodate them.

I just set up a rack that holds my two blackwater displays, a 30g that houses my group of 13 , and a 60g (+sump) housing my group of 6 . They are both currently species tanks. The conditions in either of these tanks should be suitable for the Parosphromenus.

But the catch is that I set up oversized species tanks that try to mimic my fishes' natural environments because I'd like to encourage them to spawn naturally. I'd ideally like to try spawning all three of these species. But with three species in two tanks, there's always a chance that someone's eggs/fry might be someone else's meal.

The Parosphromenus and Pseudomystus are more the priority to spawn, so if anyone's young might get eaten I'd rather it be the Hyalobagrus. But an ideal situation would let me spawn all of these fish.

To me, the best options seem to be keeping the Parosphromenus and Pseudomystus together in the 60g, and leaving the Hyalobagrus in the 30g, or trying to catch up all of my Hyalobagrus to move into the 60g with the Pseudomystus (based on available information, these two might even occur naturally together?), so the Parosphromenus can have the 30g to themselves.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this arrangement?

There is always setting up a new tank for the Parosphromenus, but I'm supposed to be consolidating and breaking down tanks, not setting up more. (I say, as I order more fish...) Or...an option that I'm really not fond of is putting someone in the 60g's sump. But these are all my most prized fish, so I'd really like them all on display.
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Compatibility?

Post by Shane »

Although all these fishes need very similar environments, I would not mix them if your intentions are spawning. Either bagrid will certainly eat fry whether they be their own or others. Your best options are a new tank or possibly a tank divider. Would love to see your set ups.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Hyalobagrus tank. 30 gallons.
Attachments
IMG_20170401_170501_kindlephoto-196369639.jpg
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Narelle
I've donated: $44.00!
My cats species list: 9 (i:4, k:4)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:4)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:38)
My Wishlist: 133
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Texas
Location 2: USA

Post by Narelle »

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've had company in town.

Do you think either tank would be an acceptable short term living arrangement for a pair of Parosphromenus? It would probably be easier to set up a new tank for them after I move in a couple of months. The only reason I'm setting up new ones right now is because some will have to stay behind with my family until I'm in a more long term living arrangement. These two are the ones coming with me though.

Your Hyalobagrus tank looks really nice, thanks for sharing! It makes me wish my 30g was a long instead of a standard. And makes me feel better about the lack of plants at the surface - I read that they are found in the wild under mats of vegetation at the surface, but I was trying to be very biotope specific with this tank (even in my leaf litter choices) and couldn't find any plants from Borneo available to the hobby that fit my needs. I do need to try again to get more crypts, though. There is one in there, but its behind a leaf in the picture. I bought four varieties said to be native to blackwater habitats in Borneo, but only one survived. (Maybe C. longicauda or C. ferruginea? I forget.)

Attached are some pictures, but yikes I'm embarrassed. Just noticed the glass is a mess (the company stayed in this room with small children) and I didn't bother to clean it before I took pictures. No time to clean and retake. The 60g's leaf litter is in the fuzzy stage, not the prettiest point in the life of this setup. The 30g needs a vacuum and some fresh leaves. I never remember to take pictures of my tanks, so I just now took these.
No backgrounds on these at the moment, my walls are just orange. :) I think it kind of works, though, aside from the outlet behind the 30g.
Attachments
30g H. flavus tank - sorry, needs a vacuum and some fresh leaves.
30g H. flavus tank - sorry, needs a vacuum and some fresh leaves.
60g P. heokhuii tank
60g P. heokhuii tank
Huge fan and collector of Bagrid catfishes.
Graduate student, studying systematic ichthyology.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Narelle wrote: 07 Apr 2017, 15:21 And makes me feel better about the lack of plants at the surface - I read that they are found in the wild under mats of vegetation at the surface, but I was trying to be very biotope specific with this tank (even in my leaf litter choices) and couldn't find any plants from Borneo available to the hobby that fit my needs. I do need to try again to get more crypts, though. There is one in there, but its behind a leaf in the picture. I bought four varieties said to be native to blackwater habitats in Borneo, but only one survived. (Maybe C. longicauda or C. ferruginea? I forget.)
Java fern (Microsorum pteropus) is native to Borneo. The form known as "Trident" was originally collected in Borneo (<https://www.aquasabi.com/aquatic-plants ... us-trident>).

I would definitely include floating plants. Pistia stratiotes is found on Borneo, I'm not sure any-one would be able to tell you whether it is native or not.

A Ceratopteris spp. would be another suitable "floating" plant found on Borneo.

None of these plants are strictly biotope correct, but for sensitive fish, plants (and especially floating ones) make water management much easier.

cheers Darrel

Return to “Tank Talk”