Indoor Pond Project

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
CatWhat
My cats species list: 16 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Newfoundland,Canada

Re: Indoor Pond Project

Post by CatWhat »

Those gaps are only 3/4" at the most, but I was thinking about filling them in with silicone. But I am not sure if I can get my hands on black aquarium safe silicone. I may have to go with clear perhaps.
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Maybe you can just use plumber's putty and paint it black. I am with Bas. I find fish are able to get into the smallest gaps and get stuck when you are not looking.
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Hmm I haven't thought on the plumbers putty. I will look into it tomorrow at the hardware store. I got lots of black paint that's for sure.
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

I used low expansion foam afterwards and painted it black.
Also I was thinking perhaps doing a large shoal of Pictus for the bottom of the pond.
swampgorilla
Location 1: Slidell, Louisiana
Location 2: USA

Post by swampgorilla »

I have a 72 gallon stock tank as an indoor pond ... but mine is galvanized.

It is coated with an epoxy pond liner on the inside that took a long time to prep and paint on. It's beautiful though. If I did this again I would probably go with the rubbermaid ponds. I didn't do that though because most of those had slanted sides and I wanted a rustic look - but the pain of putting that epoxy liner on this galvanized tank made feel different about that! LOL

I use a pump to pump water in / out for water changes. I use two canister filters (a Cascade 1000 and an Eheim 2215) to filter it along with an AC110 HoB. The Eheim is filled exclusively with Pond Matrix and the flow is adjusted to a bare minimum. Output of the Eheim is then sent to a 25 watt U/V.

The canisters each have their own intake - but shared outlet. I had to rig up a special DIY combined outlet to reduce the flow in the tank and it works quite well.

Been working for a year like this and it's GREAT. Fish love to come to the top and interact with whoever walks by. My greyhound has never really shown an interest in eating the goldfish ... but I have caught her taking a gulp or two of water from the tank when she's thirsty! LOL

Anyway - it's a fun tank. I know a lot of people say you can't use a canister filter unless the tank is above it ... but mine work fine.

CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Done and done. Just needs fish.

CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Ahhh thats no good then. Well here is a link to my YouTube Channel that includes some video of the pond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=397mPIx5aYg&t=24s
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Wow! Great job. You have got a lot going on and appear to be much into breeding. That's pretty exciting. Is this all in your basement?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
CatWhat

Post by CatWhat »

Yup, all in the unfinished portion of the basement.

Return to “Tank Talk”