L46 only tank algae issue

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
F15CathyShark
My cats species list: 4 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 6
Location 1: Santa Rosa
Location 2: usa
Interests: draw, keep fishes, sewing

L46 only tank algae issue

Post by F15CathyShark »

Hi there,
My zebra tank has some red hair algae growing, I got most the ones on the wall/glass off but not the ones on deco and plants. Any suggestions for algae eating tank mate thats not shrimps?

my L46s will eat shrimps and snails
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: L46 only tank algae issue

Post by Shane »

Something to consider instead of adding fish is to just reduce the photoperiod. Unless there are live plants in the tank, 2-3 hours of light to allow you to observe the fish's health is plenty.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

While I generally don´t like to suggest limiting the photoperiod, in this case, the fish come from very deep water, there is nothing against it.

It's further hard to find fish eating hair algae - but in all honesty, hair algae are a sign the tank is doing OK. That is, on one hand they are easily destroyed (just do your maintenance less) but on the other hand, that is not what you would want to do.

If the algae would be a real problem, I'd remove the plants and limit the lights
cats have whiskers
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I currently have 14 tanks with Hypans: all are species tanks, 2 hold zebras, none have plants, some have sand and some are bare bottom. They each have a light which is only turned on when I have to work in tank. Some of these tanks have been running for well over a decade.

None of these tanks has a speck of algae.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “Tank Talk”