Problems with my aquarium

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Niamh2018
Location 1: Ireland
Location 2: county limerick

Problems with my aquarium

Post by Niamh2018 »

Hi I need a bit of advice.i bought a 240 litre fish tank last year and have had nothing but problems with it. Water keeps leaking out of the hood and has water damaged the stand.i am going to buy a sideboard for it but don't know how strong the sideboard needs to be in order to hold the tanks weight. I was wondering if anybody could give me a bit of advice as to what weight the tank would be and what would be the minimum weight that the sideboard would have to be able to hold? Thanks in advance ☺
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Problems with my aquarium

Post by bekateen »

Hi Niamh2018,

You're asking how much your 240 L tank will weigh when full? I'd estimate the # kilograms +20%... So 240kg + 48kg = 288 kg, or round up to 300kg.

I realize that's overstated, but I'd personally rather have an overbuilt support than an underbuilt one.

Good luck, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Niamh2018
Location 1: Ireland
Location 2: county limerick

Post by Niamh2018 »

Thanks Eric for the info ☺
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I once read a 54 l tank should be treated as iof it is 80 kg. 240/54 * 80 = 356 kg

Personally, I would want te be cvertain the underleying can carry 400 kg, without any problem. Do remember, glas does not bend, but wood does. Therefore, if the wood bends, your tank could start leaking

I have a tank myself on a cupboard, it contains some 300 l. The front of the cupboard does look capable of carrying weight, but the back does not. Therefore I got myself a few pieces of hardwoord, and put a few strips of it in the cupboard, carrying the weight. I also added a few feet (not length, but support to the ground). The tank has been standing there for 5 years or more now.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”