Sick bronze corydorus

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pointpleco
I've donated: $4.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:52, k:49)
My aquaria list: 31 (i:28)
My BLogs: 29 (i:160, p:1739)
My Wishlist: 131
Spotted: 109
Location 1: adelaide, australia
Location 2: adelaide , australia

Sick bronze corydorus

Post by pointpleco »

Can anyone help with what this is and how to treat. Only 2 days ago i noticed my bronze corydorus female has a white nose (looks like loss of skin). And also most fins are affected sort of like a fin rot maybe. 1 week ago she didn't have this.
Today i'm putting her in a quarantine tank.
Few pictures below showing the condition, i will get some clearer photos today.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0470.JPG
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2653)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Sick bronze corydorus

Post by bekateen »

Hi pointpleco,

First, please read this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4248 and provide as many answers as you can.

Without that info though, it looks like your fish has a serious infection. The nose may be injured because of the gravel you have them on; corys really prefer sand that isn't sharp and won't cause abrasions.

If I were you, I'd do a big water change and work to keep water very clean (no ammonia, nitrates, etc). I'd also add melafix. Finally, I'd replace your gravel with sand.

Keep in mind that all of my advice might be wrong, since we don't have more info about your tank conditions.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

bekateen wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 04:54 Hi pointpleco,

First, please read this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4248 and provide as many answers as you can.

Without that info though, it looks like your fish has a serious infection. The nose may be injured because of the gravel you have them on; corys really prefer sand that isn't sharp and won't cause abrasions.

If I were you, I'd do a big water change and work to keep water very clean (no ammonia, nitrates, etc). I'd also add melafix. Finally, I'd replace your gravel with sand.

Keep in mind that all of my advice might be wrong, since we don't have more info about your tank conditions.

Good luck,
Eric
Thanks for reply, so here are some more photos as i moved it into a hospital tank.
I'm worried it could spread in my main tank. I did a 50 litre water change also.
The photo named IMG_0486[1].JPG is the biggest worry as it's stomach seems to have a hole.
I will give daily water changes on both tanks for a few days i think.

Here is as much info as i can give from the link you sent me ............

1. Water parameters
a) Temperature range ----- "25-26 degrees celsius."
b) pH ------- "A bit low at moment, ranging from 6.0 - 6.4, have had trouble getting it higher."
c) GH ------ "I don't know GH"
d) KH ------- " Also don't know KH"
e) Conductivity or TDS (if GH and KH aren't provided) ------- " I have never tested this "
f) Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite levels (Most LFS's will check your water and give a list of readings)----------------- "Ammonia is 0ppm , Nitrite is 0ppm , Nitrate is 40-80ppm.
g) Water change frequency -------- "Weekly"
h) "Routine" water treatments (e.g, chlorine/chloramine or ammonia neutralizers; pH or hardness adjustments, anti-stress chemicals, tank-cycling bacterial mixes). ---------- "Only use water conditioners and stress coat

2. Tank set up
a) Size -------"About 175-200 litres, it's a odd shape tank, like a diamond on sides, 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft
b) Substrate ------- "Gravel"
c) Filtration --------- "Eheim canister filter"
d) Furnishings --------- "Driftwood, terracotta caves and a few live plants"
e) Other tank mates ------- "2 platinum angels, 1 discus, 1 black ghost knife fish, 4 male bronze cories, 3 albino tiger barbs, 11 common bristlenose plecos, 2 glass catfish and 2 clown loaches
f) How long has it been set-up? ---------- "About 8 months"
g) Food used and frequency ----------- "Flakes, spirulina wafers, frozen blood worm all those 3 daily then on occasion freeze dried blackworm and cucumber "
h) Recent changes in the tank which occurred shortly before the disease/problem appeared (if any; e.g., changes in water source or water treatment, changes in decorations or substrate, replacement or changes of hardware (filters, heaters, etc.), and additions or removals of live plants or live fish)------------------ "Have recently wormed the tank"

3. Symptoms / Problem description or history " Like listed in first post"

4. Action taken (if any) " Put in quarantine, not sure of my next move"

5. Medications used (if any) / changes in fish observed since treatment began (if any) -------"none yet "
Attachments
IMG_0486[1].JPG
IMG_0484[1].JPG
IMG_0483[1].JPG
IMG_0475[1].JPG
IMG_0473[1].JPG
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I am not so sure this will spread. Looks like a possible heater burn. Maybe a subdominant male trying to hide? The very worn down fins may point to bad water quality. You note above weekly water changes, but are they at least 50%?
Trying to help.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

Shane wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 21:24 I am not so sure this will spread. Looks like a possible heater burn. Maybe a subdominant male trying to hide? The very worn down fins may point to bad water quality. You note above weekly water changes, but are they at least 50%?
Trying to help.
-Shane
Ok maybe a heater burn, but seeing the sunken in stomach underneath i'm not sure a heater could do that. This is my female it's the fat one. The 4 others are the smaller males. Yes i know normally bad water will make the fins do that. I checked all water, only thing that is off is my PH it's a bit low lately. But it was low before this started. PH sits about 6.4 lately. I do about 30% water change, i feel at the moment being winter in australia that 50% is a big shock with the temperature change. Temperature drops from 26 degrees to 22 when i do this. Only other option is to put warm water from tap in, but i have never done this because i'm not sure if that is safe. Do you know if it is.
Thanks for your help mate
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Is the warm tap water from the same source as your tank water? If so, then yes it should be safe. Just make sure you check the temperature of the water before you add it, so it's not too hot.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

bekateen wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 14:35 Is the warm tap water from the same source as your tank water? If so, then yes it should be safe. Just make sure you check the temperature of the water before you add it, so it's not too hot.

Cheers, Eric
Yes it's the same source. But i hear then the water gets too much copper in it. And being a old house i think the water heater is metal. I have read so many people say it's ok and it isn't ok to do this. I have sometimes just boiled the kettle for a bit of warm water mixed with the cold. But that takes so many times of boiling for a 50litre change. Extra electricity charges. I'm a little worriedd to do it incase it affects the fish with copper and lead in the water.
Thanks
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

I see your concern. The nice thing about a kettle, or I'd use a larger container like a spaghetti pot, is you can get the water really hot as long as you mix it with cold water before adding to the tank. In the large spaghetti pot, you can easily heat 4-5L at once.

Good luck, Eric
2wheelsx2
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

If you use a water conditioner like Seachem Prime it will not only dechlorinate the water but will bind the metals so that the water is safe and then you can change as much water as you like.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

bekateen wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 17:40 I see your concern. The nice thing about a kettle, or I'd use a larger container like a spaghetti pot, is you can get the water really hot as long as you mix it with cold water before adding to the tank. In the large spaghetti pot, you can easily heat 4-5L at once.

Good luck, Eric
Yes thanks, i did that today with a 8 or so litre pot. Makes it alot easier.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

2wheelsx2 wrote: 29 Jun 2018, 17:51 If you use a water conditioner like Seachem Prime it will not only dechlorinate the water but will bind the metals so that the water is safe and then you can change as much water as you like.
Ok thanks i will check that brand next time i get water conditioner.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

I don't have a photo, but the bronze corydorus completely healed. Fins grew back, nose scales grew back and even the indent on the underneath of her came good. I'm so surprised it lived through that, such a hardy fish. This same one last year got stuck inside a ornament 2 times for close to 2 days and also survived. Since then i have of coarse taken all fake ornaments out. I used "BLUE PLANET FUNGUS CURE" for 9-10 days doing 3 treatments every 3 days and it seems to have worked.

Return to “Tank Talk”