Does anyone use Marineland canister filters?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Normanhow
Location 1: Marshall Islands
Location 2: Marshall Islands

Does anyone use Marineland canister filters?

Post by Normanhow »

Has anyone tried the Marineland canister filters? They certainly feel heavy enough. They look like a rebranded Tetratec filter. Ive got a Eheim 2028 on my 90 gal tank but might try a Marineland when I set up the 40 gal breeder. The Tetratecs get good reviews on Plecofanatics and they are a fair bit less than a 2026.

Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: Does anyone use Marineland canister filters?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I bought and used 4 of them but it's been long ago - 2009-2011. Two 220's and two 360's. No complaints but ran only for 2-3 years, not long enough to judge longer term.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

As far as I am concerned there are only three brands of canister I will use. The first is Eheim, the second is Eheim and finally there is Eheim.

I own 5 of the Pro II line- 4 are the 2026 and one is a 2028. Only three have been put into use so far. The first one was set up 15+ years ago. It double as my pressurized co2 reactor in a high tech planted tank. I selected an Eheim as the canister that most likely would not vapor lock due to the co2 pushed through it. I was correct. That same filter is now running on a 75 gal. L236 tank. It still runs great and i still as quiet as on day one.

If you go back in time an look at Eheim reviews over the years there are many reports of their various canister filters going strong after 20 years.

I learned a basic truth about buying things a long time ago and came up with this: "In the long run, the cheapest solution is usually the one which costs the most up front."

One of the three 2026 I have was set up 3+ years ago. With advice from Dr. Tanner of Swiss Tropicals, I used only Poret foam in the filter. I have 20 ppi foam in both baskets and no floss/filter pads at all. I asked Dr. T how often I should clean the filter and the answer was, "when you notice the return flow has slowed." I have yet to open that filter to clean it. To be fair, there is also an AquaClear 300 on the tank which I clean and replace the floss in weekly. The tank has been very heavily planted for years.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

amen to that. i have 9 eheims, 2- 2026, 1-2028 and the rest are 2217s. two of the 2217s were bought in the late nineties. i have had to replace the double tap valves in one, the other one is just the way it was when i bought it. keeping the impeller and hoses clean makes a big difference in flow rate and life of the filter. i don't like the round bio-balls they came with for awhile, small round ceramic balls, not my first choice. found replacements really reasonably on ebay and that's the the only thing that's not oem :)
jd_7655
Location 1: warren michigan

Post by jd_7655 »

I agree with Eheim being the best. I have 2 ECCO Pro 2236's that have been going strong for 10 years. Some people don't like the ECCO's but I love them on smaller tanks. Usually when I read bad things about them it's user error.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Don't know anything about Maryland products, but most often Eheim is the cheapest after doing a little math

I have 5 Eheim pro II, using 20 watts. I also have 1 similar thing, from a "cheaper" brand. It needs 40 watts

Now electricity costs here almost 20 ct a KWH, and that makes (a year is almost 9000 hours) me pay almost 40 euros a year too much if I would use this thing. The difference when I got it? 40 euros - that is, theEhaim paid the difference back in only 1 year.

I have no clue about the cost of electricity in the USA - but 1 watt permanently, @ 22 ct a kwh means the device will cost 2 euros (or dollar) a year. Not too complicated, I think
cats have whiskers
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

I know the old school eheim went forever. I bought a eco and it broke down just out of warranty. It was cleaned regularly and pipe cleaned. Hagen I believe now own them so the quality of old may have gone a little.

I used JBL as lower wattage but they are heavy on cleaning. Something to consider when you have to open it every 2 bloody weeks. I have had them running 3-5 years no issues. Only replacement parts are the ones the dog ate. Can't blame build quality for that one. Foam is now starting to fall apart a little but to be expected.

I went for hmf over moving to eheim classics as about same price and allot less moving parts. They do look ugly though.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

JamesFish wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 11:08 Hagen I believe now own them so the quality of old may have gone a little.
Really? When, recently?

Jools
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

I am not sure about the canister filter..... but I did buy a few heaters made by Marineland last year. I had one as a spare and I started using two right away. They worked fine for about 6 months before the first one stopped working the second one worked for about 8 months. I started using the 3rd (spare) one but will replace it soon as I figure it will not last...… so if there heaters are so bad I figure the rest of the produces they put out are not very good as well. So I will not buy anything made by them ever again...…

HTH
Chuck
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Actually, Marineland has been owned by Spectrum brands for some time now. Their Pet, Home and Garden division owns Tetra and Instant Ocean in the aquarium area.
https://spectrumbrands.com/OurBrands/pe ... arden.aspx

Hagen is also now a conglomerate here is what they own http://usa.hagen.com/ourbrands
Fish brands they own and should be names we know: Fluval, AquaClear, Marina, Laguna, Glo, Nutrafin and Elite. They also do dog, cat. bird and herp products.

You can make HMFs less obtrusive/ugly if you make them corner or halfmoon filters : http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtratio ... lter-shop/
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Bas Pels
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Jools wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 16:11
JamesFish wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 11:08 Hagen I believe now own them so the quality of old may have gone a little.
Really? When, recently?

Jools
Quite often it helps to look at trademark registrations - which is my profession. So I know where to look

The TM EHEIM is still registered in the name of Eheim GMBH & CO KG in Germany

I Always thoght the Hagen heaters were owned by Eheim, but I found

The TM HAGEN registered in the name of Hagen Deutschland GMBH & CO KG. Also in Germany, but the postcode (zipcodes) inply not closely together

Obviously, the company can still be owned by Eheim, but in most castes TM registrations are in the name of the mother company
cats have whiskers
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Indeed, what I thought might be the case is perhaps Hagen took on the distribution rights for Eheim in, for example, North America, but I did not hear of an acquisition hence my query.

Cheers,

Jools
JamesFish

Post by JamesFish »

Sorry not been signed in for a bit will try and find the box the pump came in as probably still in spare room.
JamesFish

Post by JamesFish »

Sorry appears I was wrong, I couldn't find my external filter box but did find an internal and heater box both have no blue H so please accept my apologies for incorrect information.
kvnbyl

Post by kvnbyl »

for what it is worth i bought a new 2217 for a neighbor who had a 75 gal and an ancient h.o.b. and there was no discernible difference in build or components between the new one and the last one i bought maybe 5 years ago. Jaeger heaters have been owned by a couple of companies, at one point due to their not being certified as submersible in the states they were not supposed to be submersed even though it was the same heater it had always been
In the states in the last few years there have been a number of changes in ownership in pet supply companies, United Pet Group being one of the major players.
Probably the worst from my point of view is that Petco bought Drs Foster and Smith and their mail order business just went away. A shame as they had good prices and carried some items I could not find elsewhere (not to mention they owed me since i had spent a lot of money in the last 20 years :)
merger games and this company buying that company and the the consumer usually coming out on the losing end
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

@kvnbyl

FosterSmith is not gone yet. They rolled it into their Live Aquaria operation. They have had a huge Clearance Sale going on. https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/37 ... m-supplies

My impression is they are either on their way to killing F&S off completely and then selling more of the "junk" (my opinion) they make under the brand Imagitarium. I have spent many $1,000s over the last 18+ years on an assortment of things fishy. I have spent maybe $400 of that at PetCo. I used to buy tanks when they ran the $1/gallon sales.

These days I spend mostly for fish food since I pretty much already own everything else I need already. The reason for that is I follow this rule: "In the long run, the cheapest solution is almost always the one that costs the most up front." This can be a difficult rule to follow.
kvnbyl

Post by kvnbyl »

Petco still does the 1$ sale but it is limited to under 40 gallon, that's where two of my 90's came from

the old days..........

Return to “Tank Talk”