UK Summer Pond Project

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
MarcW
I've donated: $148.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

UK Summer Pond Project

Post by MarcW »

Hi Everyone,

I've setup a small pond (102x75x30 cm LxWxH) ~227 liters, ~60 USG in my garden for the summer with some cooler water fish to see if I can get them breeding with a supply of live food, sunlight, and day/night temperature fluctuations.

I've put a couple bits of bogwood, a pile of cobbles, sand substrate, water lettuce, and some 'oxygenating' plants which I hope will be used as spawning sites.

There are loads of bloodworm type things in there which came from a container in the garden, I also seeded it with daphnia and blackworms.

The stock arrived today, the first time I've had fish shipped to me, everything arrived perfectly and in good health, plus I saved 8 hours of driving :d .

In the pond there are 2 pairs of , and 16 Mimagoniates lateralis, a small tetra from the same coastal streams around Sao Paulo ish.

So far the temperature fluctuates between 15c in the early morning and 21c in late afternoon, which seems about right for these fish. I have a seasoned 4 inch poret cube filter being run from my fishroom air pump (via a small hole drilled in the wall). It's also situated near an outside weather proof power socket so I can add a small heater if any cold nights are forecast.
box.jpg
pond 2.jpg
tetras 2.jpg
barbatus 1.jpg
barbatus 2.jpg
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: UK Summer Pond Project

Post by Bas Pels »

Sounds good. I would not worry about any cold nights, as far as I know these Scleromystax comew from cold streams high up in the mountains. That is, they can handle a large difference between day and night.

However, you might wantto use that electicity nearby for a pump - Scleromystax likes current.

Being on the same lattitude, more or less, you might want to know I intent to put some Xiphophorus kallmanni (originally from lake Catemaco, Guatemala, also high up) into one of my ponds
cats have whiskers
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Thanks for the idea of current Bas, I think I have some small powerheads to try out. I'll see how they react!
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I think I need to add some shade to my pond! The water temperature hit 29c today as a temporary measure I've put a bamboo in a pot in front of it!

It was especially warm and sunny today so hopefully it doesn't get that warm too often!
kvnbyl
I've donated: $411.00!
My cats species list: 48 (i:0, k:3)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:13)
My Wishlist: 6
Spotted: 10
Location 1: VA
Location 2: usa
Interests: catfish, especially synos, Rainbowfish, South American cichlids

Post by kvnbyl »

it's always interesting to me that fish that can stand a 10 degree f temperature swing when they are out in a pond with no harm can develop ick in a tank with as little as a 2-3 degree f drop
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

I've just brought the fish back into the fish room, as the water has been regularly below 10c in the mornings.

Given the fish have been exposed to water temperatures between 32c and 9c, I was pleasantly surprised to find they all survived, minus one of the tetras.

There was even a small Scleromystax barbatus in there! Just the one fry but I'm counting that as a success!

Over the winter I'll use the pond to try and breed, Asellus aquaticus, blackworm and daphnia. Ready to try again next year!
Last edited by MarcW on 08 Sep 2019, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I did the same last week. I lost 1 Xiphophorus kallmanni female, I think to a jufferfly - I saw an ampty skin hanging on a plant a week later. And a danio jumped out of the bucket.
cats have whiskers

Return to “Tank Talk”