odd protrusions on erethistes

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Weirder_weird
My cats species list: 15 (i:3, k:0)
My Wishlist: 7
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Bengal, India
Location 2: Kolkata
Interests: sisorid cats

odd protrusions on erethistes

Post by Weirder_weird »

hi all as you know my sisorids are well and good.but yesterday i noticed that my glypto indicus and erethistes puslius had slight round protrusions on both sides right below the pectoral fins (the are equivalent to the position of latissimus dorsi in humans with respect to their arms). What are these? I cannot click a good picture as they are very secretive.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: odd protrusions on erethistes

Post by Jools »

They're a normal part of the skeleton, called the coracoid process. You can see them well in the undernoted pic.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/im ... ge_id=6759

Jools
FatCatDoorMat
My images: 7
My cats species list: 21 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 13
Spotted: 22
Location 1: kolkata
Location 2: West Bengal

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

Jools wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 09:33 They're a normal part of the skeleton, called the coracoid process. You can see them well in the undernoted pic.

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/im ... ge_id=6759

Jools
Hi I am the original poster I forgot my password but for some reason i cannot reset it. I made this alt account.

Also I dont think this is the coracoid process. I lost a pseudolaguvia to this. The sides flared up like two balloons, and i have not seen dropsy on any scaleless fish. The glypto did not have any bump on both sides. The swellings are a bit reddish and above the pectoral fins. It is feeding normally, but the swellings are a bit concerning.

Below is a pic attached, if you look closely you can see the reddish bump above the pectoral. It was not present before.
FatCatDoorMat

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

On another note, I lost a perfectly healthy pseudolaguvia ferula before the lockdown, and it was quite likely gravid, so i thought it was egg bound. Then i lost a pseudolaguvia riberoi whose sides had been blown up like helium balloons and it failed to keep balance. This is exactly why I am pretty paranoid about the slight swellings on the glypto indicus.The swellings are a bit reddish.
FatCatDoorMat

Another die-off (Please help)

Post by FatCatDoorMat »

I can already see this image not working, so here: https://imgur.com/NDUnvP5

The bumps below the dorsal fins seem perfectly fine here.But thes are dropping like flies after barely completing one year. Their bellies sink, the bumps below the dorsal fin protrude as they become emaciated.I have tried albendazole and metronidazole but nothing seems to be working. I am at my wits' end. Please help me or atleast share some experience about any occurence of such diseases. the only problem I can pinpoint is the rising temperatures, but why are they showing symptoms of internal parasites? Amidst this soon to be massive loss, my HOB filter crashed so yeah the ammonia should be skyrocketing anytime, despite me changing 25% the water twice a day. I really don't know what to do. I feel like giving up. My 4 year old seems to be developing the protruding bones below the dorsal fin as the body is becoming more and more emaciated.

Please help me out.

Return to “Tank Talk”