Do Your Bristlenose Plecos Dig??

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jkulysses
Location 1: Kansas

Do Your Bristlenose Plecos Dig??

Post by jkulysses »

I have a full grown male and he digs like crazy. I can here him at night thrashing around making the tank how he wants it. Just wondering if anybody else's plecos did this because this is the first time I've had one do it.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Yes, they will dig if they haven't got a suitable place for breeding. I presume that you have a female bristlenose in the tank, her hormones (feromones?) would make the male more active. But my guess is that the male will dig anyway, even if there's no female around.

Mine dug out a cave twice, and when I tried to be nice and give him a good cave, he pushed the eggs out [could be "badly designed cave"], so I let him do his own for the next time... At least then he has got a cave to his liking.

Just make sure that the digging won't undermine any structure in the tank so that it falls over or something...

--
Mats
saradora
Location 1: PA
Interests: Plecos!

Post by saradora »

I have an albino bristlenose that digs like crazy. He is in a tank with an unidentified peckoltia and a blue ram. This tank is in my bedroom and unfortunately there is gravel bouncing off the tank walls throughout the night. I don't know why he does it--hopefully not attempting to make a nice cave with the peckoltia.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I would be very surprised if the Peckoltia and the Ancistrus are close enough genetically to produce any offspring. It would certainly be a bad thing if they did...

But I'm pretty sure they will dig caves even if they aren't trying to breed...

--
Mats
ramblin man
Location 1: Southampton, UK

Post by ramblin man »

Both my Panaque maccus (L104) and my
Pseudacanthicus leopardus (L114) dig quite a bit.

The Panaque digs in the sand where a piece of bogwood rests on the sand, and ends up almost underneath the wood out of view. It's surprising that he can move nearly as much sand as the bigger L114 shifts!
The Ramblin Man
Ramblin since 1977

L18, L66, L91, L104, L114
jkulysses
Location 1: Kansas

Post by jkulysses »

He is definately a male cause he has huge bristles on his head.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”