Fry - Zebra Otocinculus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Fry - Zebra Otocinculus

Post by Beersnob »

Otocinculus Cocamala

Yes! :cheers:
We have fry from the zebra otos. We were planning on taking them out of their species only tank and feed them green water until they were older, however our greenwater cultures both crashed. We're not sure why, but the question is there any reason that I should be concerned leaving these guys in the tank with the parents?
:?

There is enough algae in the tank to keep them going. Just curious if any of the experts out there had any thoughts in the matter?

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

First, congratulations on the spawn. Looking forward to a spawning report soon ;-)

As per my usual style, I don't have any experience in this particular fish, but it doesn't stop me commenting ;-)

I'm pretty sure the parent's wouldn't harm the little ones, so if there's no other fish-eating species in the tank, it should be fine.

Obviously, as they grow, they will need sufficient food, and a big enough tank. But if they are only tiny, shouldn't be too much of a problem. Keep an eye on the nitrate levels as this will prevent them from growing if it goes too high.

--
Mats
Beersnob
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

MatsP,

I'm not familiar with the spawning report, can you enlighten me?

thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Beersnob wrote:MatsP,

I'm not familiar with the spawning report, can you enlighten me?

thanks,

Scott
I meant that you should write a report on how you went about breeding these very pretty and nice fish. A lot of others would probably appreciate having the information.

Things like:
- Water conditions - What were the conditions to make when they bred. Including what you done for water movement, pH, hardness/conductivity, temperature.
- Trigger stuff - water temp changes, hardness changes, etc.
- Conditioning - did you feed them anything special to make them breed?
- Sexing - how you tell a male from female...
- Group size - how many do you think you need..
- Furniture - anything in the tank you think others would need to breed the fish.

Pictures is also nice.

The more details the better...

If you write a nice report, I'm sure Jools will put it up in the Shane's world. Just don't set a title of "Zebra Oto breeding", as that will put it at the bottom of the list of articles ;-)

If it's really nice, I'm sure TFH or Practical fish-keeping will have a look at it first.

--
Mats
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Congrats on the spawn!!! How did you set up your greenwater culture?
jerms5
Location 1: LOS ANGELES

Post by jerms5 »

I would find that interesting as well!! [SPAWING REPORT][/quote]
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Is this the first ever reported captive spawning of O. cocama?
Anyone know?
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Well,

I don't have all of my data in front of me. But I will be writing something up for the breeder award points for the Greater Detroit Aquirium Society (GDAS) and I will forward it to you guys too.

We are not the first to breed them, but it tends to be a "surprise" from what we noted online.

We like the way they look and noted that they are rare in the hobby. We put them in a split 20 gallon tank (divider and all) and read that para otocinclulus seemed to get anxious to breed when the corydoras pygmaeus are breeding (Thanks for your help Mr. Earl-source of info). We need to see if we can replicate the event.

All we know is that when the zebra otos are i na species only tank, they do not seem interested in breeding...no matter what you do.

Hope this was a good glimpse.

Scott
Beersnob

Mike_Noren

Post by Mike_Noren »

That is in fact extremely interesting. I suspect it was not a coincidence that it was a Corydoras spawning which acted as the trigger for them to breed.
Mike_Noren

Post by Mike_Noren »

Just out of personal curiosity, do you have any links or pointers to info about prior breeding of zebra oto?
I can't find any.
Becki
Location 1: Royal Oak, MI

Post by Becki »

Since my dear hubby (Beersnob) hasn't posted the basic info yet, you can find it at http://tinyurl.com/dyx43 I forgot to mention that the filter is actually for a 20gal (I think), and is set up for physical and biological filtering only- we took out the carbon so it wouldn't absorb any hormones from the cories/whiptails.

We have now 'kicked out' the whiptails to another breeder tank, and put the c. pygmaeus back in to see if they can get the otos going again. At 7 days, fry survival seems pretty good. I originally found 9 when I pulled the plants and did a 'head count', and generally see at least 5-6 each time I'm looking for them, though I counted 11 the other day. I'm fairly certain they were all otos, but we have a couple of pygmaeus fry in that tank (still) that sometimes think they're otos (they try 'sticking' to the glass).

The only reference I could find about zebra otos in particular was a reference here http://www.otocinclus.com/zebra.html
about possible breeding of them in Singapore. I have not been able to find anything else on Zebras, and I think for otos in general I haven't found more (or anything more helpful) than what he has listed in the breeding report section.
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

Sorry, I didn't post too much data. I wanted to make sure we could replicate the events and show that it was reproducible, not a "freak accident"

Stay tuned!

Scott
Beersnob

INXS
Location 1: Litchfield, CT

Post by INXS »

Congratulations!!

It's a pretty fish so hopefully there will be photos.

I'm not sure if greenwater would be of help to feed otos? Usually it's mostly filterfeeders that utilize green water.

If I remember correctly , the best way I got it going was with a Jobes fertilizer stick or any other fertilizer containg ammonia in water with a piece of a plant and intense light.

As far a feeding otos I know mine have always enjoyed the microfilm on the tankglass, decorations and plants. I recently read about someone taking the uplift tube and/or other parts of a filter which gets a buildup of microfilm bacteria on it and putting it in the tank, the otos suck it clean - I did try it and it worked well. Perhaps that may be of use with the babies.
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

I thoughtthat since green water is essentially algae, and that otos are algae eaters it seemed to make sense for the young.

I think the temperature up here in MI caused the end of the Green Water.

The temperature in the basement floor got cold and the greenwater crashed.

Thanks for your help and yes there are pictures! But Becki is afrraid I'll take another gig on our camera! :lol:

ThANKS,

sCOTT
Beersnob

INXS
Location 1: Litchfield, CT

Post by INXS »

Scott,
there are many kinds of algae and otos only eat a limited amount, mostly the microfilm.

You have: black beard (siamese algae eaters), green hair (rosy barbs, amano shrimp),green water (wood shrimp), staghorn (?) green spot (razorblade) to mention a few.

Introducing green water into your tank may not be the best idea. If you have plants and a good amount of light you may get a green water bloom and have a hard time getting rid of it.

Usually green water is cultured to feed daphnia which in turn is fed to fish.
Beersnob

Post by Beersnob »

:(

I have some sad news. None of the fry survived. It appeared that the ones' we took out like we do with our cories and aspidoras died fairly quickly. I believe there was not enough "food" or algae for them to eat. I'm not sure what killed the ones that were with the parents unless the parents needed some extra "protein". I'll let you know if we have enough in future spawns...

But I guess we were successful at breeding these guys, but not at raising them. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Scott
Beersnob

Mindy
Location 1: Bristol, UK

Post by Mindy »

Aw, sad news! :cry: Like you say... maybe they'll do it again. I don't have much experience in breeding catfish, with the exception of the L46 and paleatus corys, but with the young from the L46, although my original intention was to leave them with their dad, he abandoned them so I put them in a floating breeder trap (in their parents' tank so no adapting to new water needed) and was able to make sure they were feeding, etc. Plus it enabled me to see what they didn't eat also and, of course, if anyone had died. Maybe you could try that next time, dropping an algae wafer in the breeder and watching what happens. I have a clump of java moss in the breeder trap and it also sits under the outflow of the spray bar so the water is constantly circulating. If I need the flow to reduce for feeding or whatever, I simply move it out of the outflow for a while.

Perhaps you could try this next time and then you could keep an eye on the little fry, and feed them as you feel is necessary.

But most of all... WELL DONE on managing to get such a rare and beautiful creature to spawn in the first place. You must be doing something right! I'm sure you'll get it figured out before long. Good luck!
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

I didn't even get the chance to congratulate you - Very sad to hear of your loss, I love Oto's.

I'm very interested in Mats comment:
MatsP wrote: Keep an eye on the nitrate levels as this will prevent them from growing if it goes too high.
And if Mats, or anyone else, can expand on this?
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

It's a fairly well known secret amongs fish-breeders that Nitrate is one of the "slows down growth" factors.

From my understanding, it reduces the fish's ability to take up oxygen, which of course will affect the entire metabolic rate of the fish. So, if the fish can not metabolise the food eaten, it can't make use of the nutrients to grow...

Nitrite is even worse in this respect, as it's acting in a very similar way to Carbonmonoxide to humans - it ties to the red blood-cells and gets "stuck", effectively preventing the normal transfer of oxygen and carbondioxide to/from the cells in the body.

--
Mats
racoll
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I'm sure loads of papers have been writen on the effects of nitrate. Now if anyone can point me in their direction......?

Good work with the otos. Better luck next time!
MatsP

Post by MatsP »

Google didn't find much on growth rates and nitrates. This article is about as good as it gets:
[Broken link removed].

Go to http://www.aquariumadvice.com/, then Aquarium articles and select freshwater article callled "Nitrogen cycle".

I'm sure that there is research by Biochemists (or something like that) to prove/disprove the idea of Nitrate being a growth inhibitor, but I couldn't find anything on the World Wide Wibble.

--
Mats
Last edited by MatsP on 02 Feb 2006, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
racoll
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Link didn't work Mats.

FATAL ERROR................apparently!
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

Thanks Mats. That's helping me make sense of some of my past stuff-ups, and confirming my own observations when raising fry. High mortality rate, and stunted growth.

I had the same problem with the link. And a search of the site just gave me too much to plow through...

And for no particular reason, here's one of my Oto's.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”