They Have Finally Done It!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Jonno
Location 1: Devon,UK

They Have Finally Done It!

Post by Jonno »

Well, my bristlenoses have finally done it i have some eggs :D the male is currently in there fanning them and the females are eating. I'm just so excited seeing these are the first catfish eggs i have ever had i just thought i would tell you guys because you have been such good help. Yay :D

- Jonno
Beersnob
Location 1: Royal Oak, Michigan
Interests: Drinking Beer, Brewing Beer, Drinking Mead, Mazing Mead, hiking, Backpacking, fishing, camping, and of cource Catfish!

Post by Beersnob »

:cheers:

congrads are in order...

Take good care of the fry!

Later,

Scott
Beersnob

Sooo many Beers, So little time!

How many Catfish are in your Tank?
lotsabettas
Location 1: Pa, USA
Location 2: Pittsburgh
Interests: reptiles, animals

Post by lotsabettas »

congratulations mate keep us updated... I just picked up several BN last night awesome little buggers :D
nightowl1350
Location 1: Toronto, Ont

Post by nightowl1350 »

Congrats on the spawn! Sounds like you have a good Dad there to. If they are the only fish in the tank all you will have to worry about is the filter. If you have a hob one you will have to cover the intake as the tiny free swimmers will go in it....not just get sucked in, but try to get in. You have about 4 days till the eggs hatch, so get a prefilter sponge on it or a media bag with an elastic.

Good luck with them....they grow quick and the nice thing is just feed them what you do the parents, no special food required.
mog
Location 1: london uk

Post by mog »

hi jonno! i know how you feel!

i set up at tank especially to breed BN in january and bought some fry. Anyway to cut a long story short the fry have now grown up and produced thier own fry! :D which are about a week old now, it's very exciting!, it was a long wait but well worth it!, i knew it was comming looking at the males behaviour.

i have an ehiem ecco external filter and what i've done it cut up a fish net and put it over the intake, as some of them got into the external filter.
drpleco
My images: 2
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Wausau, WI

Post by drpleco »

I recommend a sponge for a prefilter because mesh will clog quicker and stop the filter. I use the sponge from an aquaclear 50 and it works great.

Before the sponge, I would find up to 20 fry in the filter each morning. Only one died on the way, strangely.
mog
Location 1: london uk

Post by mog »

thanks! i changed the mesh for a sponge, i found that a biofoam 45 sponge fits really well on the intake.
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

**Update**

Well the eggs hatched :D and got lots of babies that are doing well :D
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

That was quick.. It normally takes over a week for mine to hatch...

Edit: Of course, you mean that you've got wrigglers, not fully formed free-swimming babies, right? Sorry, me not thinking - common occurance, I just usually don't hit submit before the brain has switched on... ;-)

--
Mats
nightowl1350
Location 1: Toronto, Ont

Post by nightowl1350 »

Congrats! They are pretty easy to raise...just feed them like you do the parents. They should start eating in 6-7 days :)
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Yea they are free swimmers and got huge ornage bellies so how long does it usaually take for them to absorb them??
Kana3
Location 1: Melbourne, Australia
Interests: Almost anything within my field of vision.

Post by Kana3 »

Congratulations Jonno! And you too Mog! I know just how you feel.

I discovered two days back where my male had been hanging out - lo and behold - a good dozen plus of young about 12mm or so long.

I'm guessing they're about three weeks old. They're still all in hiding, but I'm concerned as to how long they stay there before venturing out.

I have Angels !!! [insert Jaws Theme here]

I have another tank (full of Cory fry). How do little Bristle's stand up to moving? (I'm always moving Cory's and bloody Guppies between tanks - they're all fairly robust).

Cheers!
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:10)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I've had my breeding male and female separated for a several weeks, indeed they've both been out of the "breeding tank". I put them back together on Sunday. I put the male in together with his favourite hideout that he'd been using in the other tank.

There was almost immediately a lot of activity, and on monday evening I saw the female trying to get into the males hideout. But she couldn't get in - the hole was too small... So I took the hideout out of the tank, to try to make the hole bigger, but whilst doing that I realized that there were multiple holes in the same section of Bamboo. So it would be hard for the male to keep the eggs safe. I decided to cancel that partiuclar project, and just left them to it with a upside-down plant-saucer that I'd already put in the tank.

Yesterday, when I'd settled down from my trip to Paris, I found that there was a two inch high pile of gravel next to the saucer, and upon lifting the saucer, I found that they had indeed spawned, and there's a big clutch of eggs.

--
Mats

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”