breeding Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ptishoe
Location 1: Moscow, Russia
Interests: aquaria fish

breeding Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps?

Post by ptishoe »

Has anybody ever bred Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps? I have two nice mature ones who seem to be of opposite sex. I heard it was impossible to breed them in a tank. is this true?
Lornek8
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kaneohe, HI

Post by Lornek8 »

I don't think it is impossible, just not done. The large adult size of the fish and the fact that they normally spawn in holes in mud banks makes tank breeding difficult. They are produced comercially by allowing them to spawn in outdoor ponds.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

As far as I know, the digging of a hole - almost 1 meter deep - in the clay bedding of the river is needed - perhaps to mature the eggs.

I fail to see how this can be simulated in a tank. If you manage, I'd like to know how.

From what I've read, they can reproduce at 25 cm (10 incehes) only
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I wouldn't say it's "impossible" in a tank, but as stated, they like to dig a pretty deep cave. The male guards the eggs and from what I understand, even excreete nourishment from pores on the head to feed the fry during the early stages of free-swimming fry.

They are commonly bred in captivity in outdoor ponds in both SE Asia and Florida in the US.

Whilst it may be "fun" to breed them in a tank, it's hardly something I would encourage: You'll get thousands of fry [if a 7-10cm bristlenose can lay around 50-80 eggs, you can imagine the egg-clutch of a 25-30cm Pterygoplichthys], that either will not survive well in a relatively small tank, or you'll struggle to sell, you'll need to find a wholesaler who is willing to take your fish on - and which wholesaler will do this, when there is a ready supply of captive bred ones from their normal supplier at pretty low prices already.

--
Mats
ptishoe

Post by ptishoe »

MatsP wrote:
Whilst it may be "fun" to breed them in a tank, it's hardly something I would encourage: You'll get thousands of fry [if a 7-10cm bristlenose can lay around 50-80 eggs, you can imagine the egg-clutch of a 25-30cm Pterygoplichthys], that either will not survive well in a relatively small tank, or you'll struggle to sell, you'll need to find a wholesaler who is willing to take your fish on - and which wholesaler will do this, when there is a ready supply of captive bred ones from their normal supplier at pretty low prices already.

--
Mats
this is not for money that i want to breed them. they are mature and sexually aggressive towards each other. it is mainly for their "happiness' ))) I have Neolamprologus Buesheri kamakonde and Julidochromis Transcriptus who are always surrounded by their spawn, i constantly give it away for free...
Thanks, Elena
Lornek8
I've donated: $10.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Kaneohe, HI

Post by Lornek8 »

ptishoe, If you are willing to take on the task I say go for it! Often things are impossible until someone puts their mind to it and does it. Do they really require the digging of a hole to breed? Is there something in the physical act of digging the hole that is required to trigger the male into spawning? These are questions that are unknown simply because people haven't taken the time to do it. I am sure for a long time people said Discus were impossible to breed in aquariums, but now its routinely done. If you try, I wish you the best of luck.
ptishoe

Post by ptishoe »

thanks! :D
Thanks, Elena
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

perhaps you could provide a tank with a large tube connected to is - say 10 cm acros, 70 cm long - filled with sand, and leading to another, much smaller tank, completely filled with sand.

Thus the male (or female?) can borrow his hole, leading to the hormones he needs to spawn. Naturally, the first tank needs to be big enoug to contain all the sand dus from the tube and small tank.

I may be far of the mark, but this migh set you on track........
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I do not think that a hole in a simulated riverbank is necessary. They should spawn just fine in any "cave" that is large enough. A large clay pipe should work well since that is what breeders use when pond breeding these fish. I would offer both a clay pipe closed at one end and a clay pipe open at both ends. The pipe should be large enough for both fish to squeeze in and 1.5 times their length. A large PVC pipe may also work if it is well secured so the fish can not move it.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
ptishoe

Post by ptishoe »

Shane wrote:I do not think that a hole in a simulated riverbank is necessary. They should spawn just fine in any "cave" that is large enough. A large clay pipe should work well since that is what breeders use when pond breeding these fish. I would offer both a clay pipe closed at one end and a clay pipe open at both ends. The pipe should be large enough for both fish to squeeze in and 1.5 times their length. A large PVC pipe may also work if it is well secured so the fish can not move it.
-Shane
this is exactly what i am thinking of )))
thank you!
Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels »

This is something I could try as well - i got 5 in a 4 meters tank.

However, the fry will not survive long, due to Petenia splendia, a splendid piscifourous cic hlid

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”