Otocinclus Breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
James0816
My images: 8
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Otocinclus Breeding

Post by James0816 »

Man did I stir up a hornet's nest. :)

All the plants are now out of the tank. There are Oto's and shrimp swimming all over the place. It's real funny to watch as an adult shrimp will settle somewhere and out of the blue a baby Oto will swim right into it. Sometimes even landing on the shrimp. It only lasts for just about a second but pretty funny to see an Oto on a shrimp. I snapped a couple of blurry pics but might post them anyway.

The wee Otos are just litterally working over every inch of the tank. The substrate looks like someone kicked over an ant hill.

Have all the plants cleaned and ready to go back in. Now just have to wait to vac out more of the substrate. Long process but hopefully be back to normall in a few hours.
pel
My cats species list: 3 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:2)
Location 2: Germany

Post by pel »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3oW-OQ9XeQ[/youtube] 8-}

wow.. couldn't believe it! I also found you on yt James :)

Looking forward to get those blurry pictures!
pel

Post by pel »

Code: Select all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3oW-OQ9XeQ
8-}

wow.. couldn't believe it! I also found you on yt James :)

Looking forward to get those blurry pictures!
James0816
My images: 8
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Virginia

Post by James0816 »

Working in the zebra tank this weekend. Time for another big swing at it.

Cleared out the tank of all plants and driftwood to clean them up. Removed a ton of snails. Still have a few more to get this morning as I spied when the lights came on but nothing major. Found some egg sacks on the glass to remove as well.

As for shrimp, I have relocated the C. thams. I also have a small Tangerine Tiger project in this tank as well. My TT's threw a couple of white/clear tigers with orange eyes. I've seperated all them and put them in this tank. So there are a total of (6) of these shrimp in this tank now.

Today I will do some more gravel vac'ing and washing off the plants to put back in. I'm in the market for some small flat(ish) driftwood as well to build a ledge.
pel

Post by pel »

Hey James,

tank is ordered now!

The setup is going to be:
120x60x60 430L tank with glass cover
2x30W HiPower LED beams (probably 4hrs 1 beam and 4hrs 2 beams)
2073 Eheim filter (official recommendation by Eheim is up to 350L)
300W Jäger heater

Besides my old ancistrus lady the only other fish are going to be otocinclus (probably vittatus which are easy to get)! How many would you recommend for this tank size? 20-30? I plan to let the tank run for a month or two in order to have a bit of algae growth going. You think this will be long enough if i also take care to have enough spirulina and zucchini prepared?

Greetz!
Philip
pel

Post by pel »

Hey James!

the tank is there and temporarily set up (we move again in October).. but since i have to leave the country for 3-4 months i decided to put the fish from my much smaller tank in there so it will be easier for my wife to take care of them in my absence.
Because of the moving i decided to not fill it with sand/gravel and just put pots in for the plants.
Here are some pix..
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yr4vhapwr2ir3gf/0p3L7PCOf3#/

Sorry that it's still offtopic.. =(( I really hope that the otos can soon move in. (October 2013)

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”