feeding Zebra plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
garfild
Location 1: Russia
Location 2: Moscow

Re: feeding Zebra plecos

Post by garfild »

good afternoon
I share their story of feeding the zebra.
I bought the first batch of fingerlings (3.5 cm), and I fed them to the mother brine shrimp, but after 4 months the fish start to die, I was told that the fish can breathe from the fact that there is the mother Artemia, which eat eggs and fish from this stomach and clog fish dies. I left out the second batch of fish and I began to feed Tubifex, but again after 5 months the fish start to die. Now I was told that the fish I ruined myself in order that the feeding Tubifex. tubifex dirty and poisoned fish. That's the story. and that I had killed around 14 fry ((((((((((
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Repashy foods here.

Kensfish also makes mini sticks. I have switched to using that size for my Hypans. I use a mix of the earthworm and vegetable minis. I also feed his spirulina with garlic and paprika every Saturday to all my tanks (flake and bits are both available).

I am also mildly allergic to bloods. I used to wear latex exam gloves when I fed and it still affected me. I always bought the 1 lb. slabs because they are more economical. I finally switched to the cubes as Amy reported in here post.

You can feed them frozen mysis, brine shrimp, brine gut loaded w/ spirulina, daphnia and perhaps others I have not tried. The one thing I insist on is only using Hikari brand. The one exception is frozen Cyclop-eeze for fry. I trust the quality of Hikari frozen foods and have used them almost exclusively for years.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
carkichi
Spotted: 1
Location 2: London

Post by carkichi »

Agree. Hikari is the way to go.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

TwoTankAmin wrote:I am surprised nobody has mentioned Repashy foods here.
Previous post was from 2011, pre-Repashy?
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Oops- did not look. There are two threads on feeding and I must have confused myself and posted in the wrong one :(

But it still applies :)
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
krazyGeoff
I've donated: $110.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 12
My cats species list: 27 (i:1, k:2)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:410)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Woodville
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Fish and Cats

Post by krazyGeoff »

I use Repashy Bottom scratcher and Repashy Soilent green.

This seems to be working as they spawn every few weeks now.

Cheers
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I was told one can mix Repashy foods to make a blend. Somebody recently explained at a presentation I attended that they mix the Meat Pie and Soilent Green for their Hypans.
krazyGeoff
I've donated: $110.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 12
My cats species list: 27 (i:1, k:2)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:410)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: Woodville
Location 2: New Zealand
Interests: Fish and Cats

Post by krazyGeoff »

Yes you can mix the Repashy powders in whatever ratios you like before adding the water. I either mix the Bottom Scratcher and Soilent Green in a 75:25 ratio, or just feed the same ratio but 100% of each product (if that makes sense) depending on what the main target species is the day I make up the food.
Bottom Scratcher is one of the "new generation" Repashy products which is pretty much the Meat Pie with added insect larvae, which personally is a nice addition for my hypans.
Also I use the same food for the fry, but add a little extra Soilent Green, as people often don't realise the fry do better with more algae in their diet, from my experience.

Cheers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”