killer snails eating my L134 eggs?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
aalund
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Denmark

killer snails eating my L134 eggs?

Post by aalund »

I have 10 adult L134 and for the last 2 years I have noticed that I sometimes have eggs but I have never seen some fry... I have a lot of killer snails (Anentome helena) more than 200 snails

Can they eat the eggs?

And how do I catch the snails?

thanx b-)
CUPfishhead
My cats species list: 5 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:2)
Location 2: NW PA, USA
Interests: Interested in non-game uncommom species favorite is native darters. Catfish of course and various cichlids, but pretty much all fish

Re: killer snails eating my L134 eggs?

Post by CUPfishhead »

Not sure about the assassins but I had regular ramshorn snails in my tank to reduce the hardness. I have seen them eat partially developed eggs that they somehow managed to get at the eggs after I scared the male off to check on them he must have not got back to them quick enough. I'd make sure you feed some extra frozen food for the snails to munch on instead of the eggs, just incase.
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

Just curious what you mean by "regular ramshorns", this or this?
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
Oliver D.
My images: 9
My cats species list: 39 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: near Vienna

Post by Oliver D. »

Hi,

Anentome helena definitely eats eggs. Here you can find some nice photos from these snails:
http://www.spec.at/2012/02/23/anentome- ... bschnecke/
In the photos the snails eats eggs from Corydoras. Peter has also made a video, but i can´t find it at the moment.

Some other snails also eats eggs. Some years before i have made this photo:
This eggs are L 134, but no one hatch, because the snails was faster... :-Q
Best regards, Oliver
Zeno
Location 2: (Antwerp) Belgium

Post by Zeno »

Eggs attacked by snails ...
Maybe not what you are waiting about but i find this a very nice picture.

Greetz, Zeno
wrasse
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Yes, snails eat fish eggs.
Snails are difficult to kill, anti crustacean meds are strong stuff and dead snails fowl the water.
You could lower the snail population... Slice of sweet potato added - remove it each time it is covered with snails.
But, to eradicate snails... Put fish in a bucket and save as much tank water as possible, empty the tank, discard the substrate and plants, place any tank decor in hot water... Very hot. Clean the empty tank. Thoroughly inspect your filters for snails and eggs.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Emptying the tank for a few days might work as well. But than I'm talking about keeping the tank dry for at least 3 days, and changing the sand

As long as the sand is moist, snails will survive
cats have whiskers
chris.west.curtis
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: China,Suzhou

Post by chris.west.curtis »

Maybe they will.Some keepers kept some killer snails with shrimps,and they found killer snails can eat dying shrimps.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

If you're going to go to the trouble of actually sanitizing the tank, the easiest way is to bleach it. I recommend removing a portion of the filter media to restart the tank, and all the fish to a bucket for the time it's being treated and provide a good airflow in the room with the tank to let the vapors out. A 20% solution for 12 hours will kill most anything that may be hidden in the substrate. I do not recommend trying to save plants because they are usually covered in eggs, at least in my tanks, more than anywhere else. I have assassins in a tank filled with subwassertang and wouldn't imagine trying to get all the eggs out of that tank.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Jaz
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:127)
Location 2: Finland

Post by Jaz »

I'm keeping Melanoides tuberculata in my tanks. I've only read from few books that they will only eat eggs when they are no good. Haven't seen them eating live ones even if our L134 dad kicked the eggs out.

sturiosoma
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:175)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United states, Ohio
Location 2: united states,elyria

Post by sturiosoma »

Irecommend getting a botia loach like a yo-yo or zebra loach there's no dangerous chemicals no tearing down your tank and they will get every snail.
Jaz
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:127)
Location 2: Finland

Post by Jaz »

Well thats true, if you wanna get rid of snails, forget the chemicals and other stuff. Use the fishes, they are much better.
aalund
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: Denmark

Post by aalund »

thanx for the answers

I started by removing as many snails as I could ( 200-300-400 snails )
now every evening I remove as many as I can see, and I think I continue for a while to see what happens.... And today I saw a 1!!! small fry in a cave!!! yeah :d

now this means war against snails...

must admit that a small fish eating snails seems like a good idea b-)
Oliver D.
My cats species list: 39 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Austria
Location 2: near Vienna

Post by Oliver D. »

I have Melanoides tuberculata and Melanoides granifera in all of my tanks. I´ve never seen them eating good eggs. Hypancistrus, Peckoltia, Corydoras, Synodontis, Lophiobagrus... no problems - the eggs hatch between the snails!
I give this snails also to the breeding tanks after the fishes have spawn. The snails eats a lot of the dirt...
Best regards, Oliver
Firestorming
My cats species list: 27 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: NSW, Australia
Location 2: NSW, Australia

Post by Firestorming »

Be careful with loaches though, they will eat snails for sure, but they will also force their way into spawning caves and eat eggs too if they can manage it.
Motorcycles are not an expensive hobby, try keeping L-cats in Australia
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I'm keeping Melanoides tuberculata in my tanks. I've only read from few books that they will only eat eggs when they are no good. Haven't seen them eating live ones even if our L134 dad kicked the eggs out.
Ingo Seidel recommends Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata) for egg cleaning with Loricariids, and they are safe. I can't keep Anentome helena as my water is too soft, but they are carnivorous and will eat eggs. I've never had any problem with Red Ramshorn ("Planorbis" rubrum) snails either, although the jury seem to be out on these.

cheers Darrel
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

dw1305 wrote:I've never had any problem with Red Ramshorn ("Planorbis" rubrum) snails either, although the jury seem to be out on these.
I'm increasingly suspicious of these, I've never seen them eat any eggs but I also never seem to get any fish reproduction in aquaria with these snails.

As an aside I'm surprised to see what appear to be bladder snails (Physa sp.) attack fish eggs in Oliver D.'s photo above, that was one type of snail I would have bet was egg-safe.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --
CUPfishhead
My cats species list: 5 (i:5, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:2)
Location 2: NW PA, USA
Interests: Interested in non-game uncommom species favorite is native darters. Catfish of course and various cichlids, but pretty much all fish

Post by CUPfishhead »

My regular ramshorn are Helisoma trivolvus the red variety that you had first, not the larger striped kind. I have snails in every tank that I own except one. I also have the smaller brown black style (Physa 2 different sp) and also Melanoides the MTS snails. While doing research on snails we found that Physa would reproduce faster but the ramshorn (helisoma) and species close to MTS (stagnicola) would eath their eggs. The MTS similar sp. would eat all 3 types of eggs including their own. this study was done with limited other food which may have accounted for the higher egg predation rate. If anyone would like to read our study and how they affected each others population here is the abstract of the paper that was published in Oikos http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
dw1305
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
My regular ramshorn are Helisoma trivolvis the red variety that you had first, not the larger striped kind. I have snails in every tank that I own except one. I also have the smaller brown black style (Physa 2 different sp) and also Melanoides the MTS snails. While doing research on snails we found that Physa would reproduce faster but the ramshorn (helisoma) and species close to MTS (stagnicola) would eath their eggs. The MTS similar sp. would eat all 3 types of eggs including their own. this study was done with limited other food which may have accounted for the higher egg predation rate. If anyone would like to read our study and how they affected each others population here is the abstract of the paper that was published in Oikos http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract
That is useful to know, I've noticed that Apistogramma females are very keen on removing any snails in the vicinity of her spawning cave. It would make sense that they eat any eggs that they can. Fish like Killis with very tough eggs, or Cichlids/Loricariids with parental care (where MTS are safe), are an exception rather than the norm of egg scatters with softer eggs and no parental care.

cheers Darrel
dw1305

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Sorry if this is reviving an old topic, but I've got some anecdotal evidence to add to the Red Ramshorn debate. I've recently had Corydoras fry appear in the tank at the back of the lab. Corydoras hastatus have been in the tank for several years and I very rarely see the adult fish. There are also a few spare Corydoras pygmaeus in the tank for about a year, which I see more frequently, and they spawn fairly regularly, although again only in the last couple of week have I seen any fry.

The tank is exceptionally weedy, and has some Planaria, Asellus, probably some Leeches etc, as well as some fish that might eat eggs or fry (Dicrossus maculatus, Ancistrus L100, Copella arnoldii), these have all been resident long term.

The only real difference I can think of is that I don't have Red Ramshorn snails at present, I assume this is a pH effect, because the numerous MTS are showing a lot of shell attrition on the older shell whorls, and the last few Ramshorn shells were almost white and very fragile.

Again it isn't in any way conclusive (lower pH/dKH may have stimulated egg laying in the Cories or I may have been using cooler rain water for water changes), but my suspicion is that the Ramshorns were eating the eggs.

Here are a couple of C. hastatus fry (centre of photo).

cheers Darrel
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Location 2: United States
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Post by Valb68 »

I just had ramshorn snails kill two ancistrus fry in the egg yolk stage. I'd been watching them hatch and become wrigglers, had shooed a couple tiny snails off the one not quite hatched but they came back a few minutes later and they had eaten part of the yolk sack on the one fry and it was dead :-O pretty sure they've killed both of them. Such small snails, I had no idea they would do that.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”