Super Red Long Fin Pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Bwhiskered
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Burlington,Ontario,Canada
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Gardening

Super Red Long Fin Pleco

Post by Bwhiskered »

A number of people have been trying to develop their own strain of Super Red Long Fin Plecos. I have possibly taken a different route and have a few pure red that I hope will breed soon. Here is one about 4 inches long.
RSCN1691.JPG
Good fish are spawned and raised in Burlington.
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Re: Super Red Long Fin Pleco

Post by vanillarum »

Very nice.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
wijnands
My images: 1
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: netherlands

Post by wijnands »

Tastes differ. Personally this is not a species I'd ever buy
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

by wijnands » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 am

Tastes differ. Personally this is not a species I'd ever buy

And this needed to be posted why ?
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Bwhiskered

Post by Bwhiskered »

You only have to go on Aquabid to see the majority will pay dearly for new colors and long fin mutations. It is all personal preference. I hate Parrot Cichlids.
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

vanillarum wrote: And this needed to be posted why ?
You know, that's actually what I asked myself when I saw the image of that goldfish/ancistrus.
Bwhiskered wrote:You only have to go on Aquabid to see the majority will pay dearly for new colors and long fin mutations. It is all personal preference. I hate Parrot Cichlids.
Perhaps time to have a dedicated subforum for all that and keep this for authentic loricariidae?
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

Looks like a perfect speciman to me. I'd be interested in knowing how you got to that point C.
Ask not...
Bwhiskered

Post by Bwhiskered »

Most people assumed that you had to cross a Super Red male with a Red Calico long fin female. Assuming that the Super Red was developed from Red Calicos That would give you all Calico fry the first generation. I crossed a Super Red male to a long finned Albino female. Being two unrelated color strains they produced 100% Brown Lace half of them long fin. I grew them out and spawned 2 female long fin browns back to the Super Red male giving a double dose of the Super Red gene. The result half are long fin and a large number brown or calico with about 10% Super Red with half of them Long Fin Super Red. When I later spawned two of the long fin browns from the first generation together some albinos also appeared but only a few pure Super Reds.

My Super Red Group that are near breeding age and I hope will spawn soon. If they do not throw 100% Super Red the females will be bred back to a pure short finned Super Red Male to set the strain.
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Location 2: United States
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Post by Valb68 »

wijnands wrote:
vanillarum wrote: And this needed to be posted why ?
You know, that's actually what I asked myself when I saw the image of that goldfish/ancistrus.
Bwhiskered wrote:You only have to go on Aquabid to see the majority will pay dearly for new colors and long fin mutations. It is all personal preference. I hate Parrot Cichlids.
Perhaps time to have a dedicated subforum for all that and keep this for authentic loricariidae?
Now I realize why you said "interesting" on my blog, wijnands. Do you own a dog or cat? By the way, I saw your google+ page and your photography is quite impressive. Kudos sir ^:)^ The deer are so different looking then the white tail and mule deer we have here in Washington state, so it was very interesting.
wijnands

Post by wijnands »

The interesting on your blog was an honest reflection on the mating behaviour you captured. That I'm not very keen on colour morphs of these doesn't mean I can't appreciate some interesting video work.

Anyway, I have raised a suggestion in the suggestions bit of the forum to get a sub forum dedicated to the fancy varieties of loricariidae.
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Location 2: United States
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Post by Valb68 »

wijnands wrote:The interesting on your blog was an honest reflection on the mating behaviour you captured. That I'm not very keen on colour morphs of these doesn't mean I can't appreciate some interesting video work.

Anyway, I have raised a suggestion in the suggestions bit of the forum to get a sub forum dedicated to the fancy varieties of loricariidae.
Thanks! Basically stood on my head for that video :-p and since I've never had ancistrus found it pretty fascinating. Actually I know very little about color morphs and ancistrus, I was just wanting to experience them spawning. Now if I can get him to raise the eggs I'll probably move onto something else :d

I say why not have a forum for ornamentals and selective bred catfish? Couldn't hurt right :d

And seriously, I enjoyed your photography greatly!
lukan
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Toronto, Ontario

Post by lukan »

Hi Charlie,

Looking good for sure. I have seen your hatchery and breeding program. Very impressive indeed.

Marte
Bwhiskered

Post by Bwhiskered »

Thanks Marte. I'm sure it will not be long before many L numbers will be showing up with long fins and color mutations.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”