Ancistrus Claro

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Ashley_1988
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Hednesford
Location 2: England

Ancistrus Claro

Post by Ashley_1988 »

Hi all. This is my first post, but I have been on the site quite a few times since being informed on PFK forum.

I just thought I'd share my recent purchases. I acquired two pairs of Ancistrus Claro from Pier Aquatics, who seem to be settling in well. The only thing is since I got them home on Monday I haven't seen any of them eat anything which I have offered into the tank. All four so seem active, although elusive at times so I'm hoping that they are feeding on something when I'm not watching of when the lights are off.

I am going to pick up some courgette as when I had common Bristlenose Pleco they went mad for it. Are there any other veg/foods which they might eat? I am currently feeding one New Era Pleco pellet cut into four per day as well as a few Hikari algae wafers dropped in of a late afternoon.
Last edited by Ashley_1988 on 12 Sep 2013, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.
Ancistrus Claro and Corydoras Pygmaeus
Ashley_1988

Re: Ancistrus Claro

Post by Ashley_1988 »

Here's a few pictures. Apologies with the quality! :-p
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

i fed my BN plecos sweet peas blanched for 2-3 mins. that sinks them and the plecos liked them so much that i raised some spawns on peas.
wijnands
My images: 1
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Location 2: netherlands

Post by wijnands »

I cooked some broccoli stalks last night and my claro went nuts over it. Peas, cauliflower and courgette are also eaten with gusto.
When they get a bit frisky I supplement the occasional sliver of raw fish. I also bought some pure spirulina tablets (bit like these http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... rodid=2355 which they adore. When shopping for that read lables, cheap stuff like this http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/ ... 00&cid=142 that contains a load of extras is not something you'd want to feed)

Thing is with the hikari wafers, they do contain a bit more protein than I'd like to see in a staple food for my claro.
Ashley_1988

Post by Ashley_1988 »

We've some broccoli in the fridge. I'll give it a go. How long do you cook it for. So it's soft or still quite hard? I've also added peas without much success, my Amano's finished those off. Again, my common Bristlenose would go mad for these.

Stomachs don't look small or sunken though, so they must be feeding on something.
Stuey
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: West Yorkshire, U.K.
Location 2: West Yorkshire UK

Post by Stuey »

Hi Ashley,

I also purchased a pair of the Ancistrus Claro from Pier. Cracking little fish.
I feed my plecs on courgette, just cut into slices, sweet potato in thin discs and the claro tuck into both.

I also use New era tropical grazer in my tanks, held in place on the glass with a sucker supplied with the food.
Last couple of nights the male claro has just kind of sat on the disc and tucked in fending off some Aru rainbows and danio's...

Good luck with these wee gems
Stu
wijnands
My images: 1
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Location 2: netherlands

Post by wijnands »

Brocolli is cooked enough that it sinks, about 10 minutes, doesn't need to be soft. Do peel the outside though to make it easier.. Courgette I don't cook, just slice, freeze, thaw as needed and stick a teaspoon trough it and drop it in.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”