30 inch long tank bit to small for bushynose plecos?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Louis
Location 2: Key west

30 inch long tank bit to small for bushynose plecos?

Post by Louis »

Hello
I recently upgraded my cichlid to a larger tank and interested in bushynose plecos for a standard 29 gallon tank (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4)

I am not sure if a M/F pair will thrive in such small quarters ?

I intend lots driftwood and couple ceramic caves. They will be the only fish in the tank.

Any input is appreciated .

Thank you
Valb68
I've donated: $60.00!
My cats species list: 37 (i:14, k:0)
My aquaria list: 18 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:549)
Location 2: United States
Interests: Photography, gardening, reading, movies, aquarium gardens

Re: 30 inch long tank bit to small for bushynose plecos?

Post by Valb68 »

I have a pair in a planted 20H with hmf filter run by two powerheads. They have a small colony going. I pull youngsters often for the LFS
Louis

Post by Louis »

Thank you. Do you see them at night or not always?

What temps do you keep them at?

Thanks again
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

I keep my red ancistrus colony in a 20 gal long (30 1/4" long), and even with caves, rocks, plants and wood, I see them all the time. They are always out and about, looking for food. I keep my tank at 80°, and the reds are the only fish in the tank. Your tank will be fine. Good luck.
Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

While changing a few things around i kept an adult pair of commons in a 24x12x15 without a problem. There was a ton of rock & wood & a single cave. After a while it got to the point where there were 3 generations of young on the go constantly which i removed at regular intervals
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Valb68

Post by Valb68 »

I have found them to not be picky about temps, but I keep them at room temp in the fishroom around 75 f to 80 f. I see them all the time, the babies are always out and parents in their favorite nap spots or the male tending his cave.
Louis

Post by Louis »

tank 29 gallon with wood.jpg
Thanks everyone, HUGE help.

This is the tank set up other than led light which I ordered . I plan to attach java fern to the wood and add purigen in the filter because the tannic acid from the newly added wood looks too dark .

Than will add 1 pair of Albino BN and think might add bit more wood prior around the clay caves .

The fish room temp here varies from 75 in winter to 80 in summer .

As you can see a cory cat in the corner which will go outside into the pond with other cory cats .

The tank housed a Blue Dempsey which is now in a 125 gallon.
Louis

Post by Louis »

vanillarum wrote:I keep my red ancistrus colony in a 20 gal long (30 1/4" long), and even with caves, rocks, plants and wood, I see them all the time. They are always out and about, looking for food. I keep my tank at 80°, and the reds are the only fish in the tank. Your tank will be fine. Good luck.

I had no idea they came in red till you mentioned it, looked them up .

I think I will go with 1 albino, 1 red .

I suspect reds rather difficult to find.
Valb68

Post by Valb68 »

I also use the tank as a grow out area on occasion for a variety of fish fry. The BN are easy and peaceful tankmates. Don't be afraid to utilize the top area of the tank with other peaceful fish.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Valb68 wrote:I have found them to not be picky about temps, but I keep them at room temp in the fishroom around 75 f to 80 f. I see them all the time, the babies are always out and parents in their favorite nap spots or the male tending his cave.

That is good to read that you see them. I asked because not knowing much about them thought perhaps rather secretive .

Thanks
Louis

Post by Louis »

Richard B wrote:While changing a few things around i kept an adult pair of commons in a 24x12x15 without a problem. There was a ton of rock & wood & a single cave. After a while it got to the point where there were 3 generations of young on the go constantly which i removed at regular intervals

Three generations is nice, lol.

I plan to give the babies/trade to pet store but like everyone else here my objective is just to keep a pair happy .
Louis

Post by Louis »

Valb68 wrote:I also use the tank as a grow out area on occasion for a variety of fish fry. The BN are easy and peaceful tankmates. Don't be afraid to utilize the top area of the tank with other peaceful fish.

I might than add some guppies .

What is your feeling in a cover for BN ?

I ask because might use a hang on led ah room is and fish room is warm all year but I know some fish must have covers.

Thank you
Valb68

Post by Valb68 »

I personally have not had bn jump out of my tank, but use a glass cover as I often put killi fry in and they are renowned leapers! I have also found guppies to be a bit nippy to the young bn fry, the bn fry don't grow well when I've had guppies as tank mates. Just my personal experience.
.Plecomania.
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: New Jersey USA

Post by .Plecomania. »

i lost my breeder female once because she jumped at night through a small gap in the back of my tank. was probably during one of the chases where the male tried to get her into the cave. I say you should cover the tank.

I found a seller of reds on AquaBid. just ask a breeder on there (who is selling reds) if they can sell you fish. sometimes they do sell you fish outside of their auctions. I am trying to get a male red from somebody on there. I warn you they are expensive. the smaller they are the cheaper they are. pairs still go for $100.00+
Last edited by .Plecomania. on 05 Feb 2014, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Stingrayg4
Location 2: Oklahoma

Post by Stingrayg4 »

I have a pair of albino BNPs in my 46 gallon community tank. I see them all day every day. They're among the most active and visible fish in that tank.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Valb68 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm

"I personally have not had bn jump out of my tank, but use a glass cover as I often put killi fry in and they are renowned leapers! I have also found guppies to be a bit nippy to the young bn fry, the bn fry don't grow well when I've had guppies as tank mates. Just my personal experience."

Thanks for letting me know . I think will just keep a pair because would love fry and a pair of BN is fine.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Plecomania. » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:33 pm

i lost my breeder female once because she jumped at night through a small gap in the back of my tank. was probably during one of the chases where the male tried to get her into the cave. I say you should cover the tank.

I found a seller of reds on AquaBid. just ask a breeder on there (who is selling reds) if they can sell you fish. sometimes they do sell you fish outside of their auctions. I am trying to get a male red from somebody on there. I warn you they are expensive. the smaller they are the cheaper they are. pairs still go for $100.00+"

Going to use a cover , thank you.

I was just looking at aquabid after reading your reply. I guess they sold them as ad not there. I did see red marbled which are also pretty but going to look at reds .

Would like 1 albino and 1 red .
Louis

Post by Louis »

Stingrayg4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:37 am

I have a pair of albino BNPs in my 46 gallon community tank. I see them all day every day. They're among the most active and visible fish in that tank."

A friend has a 250 gallon pvc type "pond" in his yard where he keeps assorted tetras , cory cats and 2 female clown plecos (lots driftwood on bottom) .

The pond is crystal clear due to a waterfall wet/dry type filter . Think in 5 years he has seen his clown plecos twice , lol.

He does see them when he siphons bottom of pond 3 times a year and removes the driftwood while cleaning.

Glad to know that BN are not nearly as shy . Thanks

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”