Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus adult size and growing

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Pilvinen
Location 2: Finland

Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus adult size and growing

Post by Pilvinen »

I bought an secondhand aquarium and therefore I got also fishes which I don't know enough. I am quite sure that I have now 2 of these plecos and I would like to hear your experiences of those. They are now about 21 cm long and I would like to know how fast they are growing and how big those usually grow in aquarium? Aquarium is only 450 litres (150cm) so I am worried now that they grow much too big. There was too much fishes in the aquarium and also fishes which grow too big but I have luckily found a new home for most of the fishes already. It seems that the previous owner didn't care so much how big those will grow. Plecos were also quite skinny and have been eaten loads of zuccini. If they didn't have very good nutrition in previous home,is it also possible that they wouldn't grow so much anymore?

We love those plecos so would be nice to keep those but I still don't want make them to suffer in too small aquarium.
Panquetalk
Location 2: United states, st paul, MN.

Re: Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus adult size and growing

Post by Panquetalk »

Google the scienctific name or on this site search engine to get more info. Some plecos grow into giants and based on this novices record with fish i wouldnt be surprized if these plecos are giants too.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Re: Pterygoplichthys multiradiatus adult size and growing

Post by racoll »

is not found in the aquarium trade.

The fish you have will be . See this catfish of the month article for information.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”