Is my bulldog pleco too skinny?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Orlon11
Location 2: Montreal, Canada

Is my bulldog pleco too skinny?

Post by Orlon11 »

Hello! I got a bulldog pleco 2 weeks ago from my local fish store. I haven't noticed him eating anything, and I can't get a look at his belly because he never comes up to the glass.
He mostly stays on one rock, in the same position, or on the driftwood just behind it.
I've tried feeding zucchini, spinach and algae wafers but he shows no interest. I did see some poop today for the first time so I guess he must be eating something.

Can anyone tell me from the photo if I should be concerned, or if he looks normal?
2014-02-22 16.45.30.jpg
2014-02-22 16.47.43.jpg
Thanks!

The tank is a 29 gallon, planted, kept at 75-76 degrees. Filters: Aquaclear 30 and AC 50. It was set up 6 weeks ago. Water is hard and alkaline - I don't have the exact values. There is 0 ammonia. Tankmates are 4 threadfin rainbows, 3 endlers and cherry shrimp.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is my bulldog pleco too skinny?

Post by Silurus »

You can't tell for sure without looking at the belly, but your fish looks fine to me.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Re: Is my bulldog pleco too skinny?

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

From my mixed results with Chaetostoma spp., I would wholeheartedly suggest quarantining them for at least several weeks, to ensure they have adapted to hobby food, as most (as far as I'm aware) are wild caught and often struggle to adapt.

A sure sign of feeding issues is a sunken stomach.

Chaetostoma spp. are omnivores with a meaty tendency, they eat the critters (aufwuchs) that live on algae covered rocks in the wild.

My four (1 dorsale; 2 aff. milesi; 1 mystery specimen) eventually learnt to react to New Era Plec Pellets; JMC Catfish Pellets; Tetra Prima.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”