Breeding set up for 7 juve L181

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Liam333
Location 2: Glasgow

Breeding set up for 7 juve L181

Post by Liam333 »

Hi everyone

This is my first post here so go easy ! Lol

Just purchased 7 very small L181s and was thinking of a breeding colony. They are currently housed in my planted 120lt with 4 common BN and 10 green neons with plenty of bogwood.
I have a spare 50lt tank and was wondering wether to move them to this ?
Or how big a set up should I have for breeding this group in the future ? (Depending on how many males I have)

At the minute they are about 3cm Thanks
Liam333

Re: Breeding set up for 7 juve L181

Post by Liam333 »

Thanks for all your help guys ! LOL
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

what are the dimensions of the tank. IMO, the tank is too small for them as adults. I have never had luck with breeding ancistrus, but have had some pretty aggressive males destroy countless numbers of both sexes in a tank that is 122 cm x 30.5 cm x 30.5 cm.

A concern I also have is the 4 common BN. If they are kept together, possible hybrids could happen. Not to mention ift he commons have the head start on size/maturity, when the L181's start to mature, they won't have the size to fend off the bigger more dominant common male.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
Liam333

Post by Liam333 »

Thanks for the reply

I've just purchased a four foot tank so just beginning to set that up as a breeding/ grow out tank.
Going for a thin layer of sand and some potted/ floating plants, bog wood and some slate caves would this suit ?

From what I have read on them they are slow growing think they would need to double in size at the very least before thinking about breeding. Any other views or suggestion ?

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”