L333 sick n dying any help appreciated

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fishnuttoo
Location 2: cincinnati, ohio
Interests: pleco l333, fancy guppies, synodontis multi

L333 sick n dying any help appreciated

Post by fishnuttoo »

IMAG0112.jpg
colony of l333 is sick. lost 15 12 month old spawns in a seperate 55 gal tank. colony is housed in a 40 gal long. very established tank n colony. 2.5 yrs ive had them. parameters are fine i tested and jacks tested. housed with 5 guppies, they are fine. plecos are swimming at top of tank, erratic, one died here is a pic. i have raised temps to 85, added salt 2 tsp/gal, treated with amox 2 x 250mg capsule, every other day. 1 treatment so far. 15% water change daily. any help in diagnosis n treatment. added platys 4 weeks ago into 55 gal that lost 15 pre adults first. maybe the culprit?
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: L333 sick n dying any help appreciated

Post by Barbie »

At the top of the forum there is a sticky with specific questions that can help us help you.

The fact that you introduced fish recently makes it pretty likely you're dealing with some form of cootie, IMO. Coupled with the fact that they are hanging on the glass where you can see them trying to get more oxygen, is a pretty good sign. Amoxicillin will do absolutely nothing to help them and the 85 degrees on top of already not getting enough oxygen could be a death sentence without enough water changes to remove any free swimming parasites. 2 teaspoons per gallon is a considerable amount of salt. I also always change a much larger volume of water. 15% is going to do very little to dilute a potential issue. If you aren't sure what you're dealing with, water changes surely can't hurt. I would treat them with ProformC for the three day treatment. It will probably be easier for you to find quick cure. Dose full strength with daily 50% water changes before treatment. I wouldn't wait, if they were mine.

Barbie
fishnuttoo
Location 2: cincinnati, ohio
Interests: pleco l333, fancy guppies, synodontis multi

Re: L333 sick n dying any help appreciated

Post by fishnuttoo »

sorry about improper posting, long time lurker, ist time poster. i normally do 50% bi weekly on tank. was worried about stress, thats why i did 15% w/c daily instead. will post full post later after work, retest parameters. i cranked heat up, n salt added for poss ich. i like the proform C idea, i googled it is malachite/formalin combo. i will look for it here in cincy. might have to buy ingredients seperately. thanx barbie for help. never ever had this happen. i take great pride in all my tanks.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”