Wood in the works...

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Wood in the works...

Post by catfishchaos »

In my 55 gallon I have two large pieces of mopani and recently purchased two medium pieces of Malaysian driftwood. My question is will the plecos just chew on the Malaysian and nibble on the mopani or will they not differentiate and hurt them selves try to make sawdust of the mopani.

Thanks)
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: Wood in the works...

Post by syno321 »

It really depends on the species of plecos you have. Some are wood eaters and will gradually reduce the wood to toothpicks. I've never kept wood eaters and see a very slow reduction in the wood over time with the species I keep.
Ask not...
catfishchaos
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

I feel like an idiot ~X( the species I plan on keeping is L306

and thanks!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
syno321
I've donated: $127.00!
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 33 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Post by syno321 »

Here is the species page on PC.http://www.planetcatfish.com/panaqolus_sp(l306) I'm curious, where and when can you obtain some of the L306?
Ask not...
catfishchaos

Post by catfishchaos »

Thanks I've gone over that page several times but wasn't sure if mopani was ok as a different type of wood. I
I plan on obtaining a trio of 1.2 (reptile world reference 1.0 means one male 0.1 means one female and 0.01 means one un sexed specimen) from a breeder in P.E.I he is on here under the name juiceyfish I believe. I plan on ordering them as soon as he gets some green laser corys in because paying for shipping twice is fun when your bill gates :P

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”