fry saver question

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pitbull13
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: omaha ne
Interests: plecos plecos and more plecos

fry saver question

Post by pitbull13 »

i was looking at fry savers for bn fry and was wondering would a net or box work better the setup i was hoping to use was a 3 way divider box with one divided with a sponge air stone filter in it if i did a plastic box http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Hang-On-Br ... g+supplies if i did a net how would i filter it and would it even work. also i was planing on moving the cave into the box one the eggs were being fanned by the father and the father would be removed when the fry were free swimming. finally how long after the fry finish the yolk sack should i move them to a new tank to be raised and sold. and what should i feed them.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: fry saver question

Post by Barbie »

Honestly, a fry saver is going to have to be pretty large to be manageable for bristlenose. The adults do not eat the fry, so what I would recommend is setting up a tank of a minimum 20 gallons for the parents. I will have spawns with upwards of 200 fry. They eat voraciously as they mature and the most common cause of losses is starvation, IME. Fry can eat most anything adults manage, as long as they can rasp it off. That subject has been covered pretty extensively in both articles and other posts.

Barbie
pitbull13
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Location 2: omaha ne
Interests: plecos plecos and more plecos

Post by pitbull13 »

Thanks for the input ill start looking for a big fry saver and due to money and space reasons the biggest tank I could do is a 15 gallon.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Mine seem to like boiled & shelled garden pea's split in 2.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”