Zebras and Belo Monte

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Zebras and Belo Monte

Post by TwoTankAmin »

We all know that zebras have not been permitted to export from Brazil for a long time. Despite this, when the demand (and prices) shot up over the past 7 or so years, finding wild caught zebras for sale had also been increasingly easy. Recently I have seen almost no listings for wild imports. Since this is the dry season and prime illegal collecting time for these fish, I am wondering why they appear not to be showing up.

It seems to me there are only a few reasonable explanations for this. The first would be that the authorities in Brazil have finally managed to figure out how to stop the illegal trade. Somehow I don't think this is the case. More likely would be activities related to the dam project have made it more difficult for the collectors to work unseen. After all, between the project and all the on site protests, it may just not be possible to collect without getting spotted.

The final possible reason is the one about which I am most concerned. That would be that the work on the project has already impacted the wild populations. Between the massive amounts of things flowing downstream from the project and the disruption to the free passage of water though the river system, is it possible the wild populations have already been negatively affected. Have things already reached the critical stage in terms of these fish?

Given that some members here are actually down there, I wonder if they could provide some feedback on this. It there any reasonable evidence that zebras, or any other Xingu species, are under threat? Or am I just worried without justification?
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
leisure_man
Location 2: Planet Earth

Re: Zebras and Belo Monte

Post by leisure_man »

___
Last edited by leisure_man on 17 Aug 2014, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I've seen this "riverbed mining rights" thing posted in a few places. Can you provide a source for this information? I'm aware of the mining rights associated with the dam contact, but not the riverbed, so understanding more would be really helpful.

Cheers,

Jools
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

That's a hugely useful resource, thanks. The (exploration) permits appear to be for the riverside and surrounding area rather than the riverbed - so I'm still looking for something regarding the riverbed.

Depressingly, I guess the exploration will lead to actual mining and if it is as close as the maps show to whatever may be left of the river then it would seem likely it would affect whatever water may remain.

Jools
leisure_man

Post by leisure_man »

___
Last edited by leisure_man on 17 Aug 2014, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
Janne
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 244
Spotted: 73
Location 2: Belém, Brazil

Post by Janne »

The first would be that the authorities in Brazil have finally managed to figure out how to stop the illegal trade.
No.
More likely would be activities related to the dam project have made it more difficult for the collectors to work unseen.
Yes, but also impossible when no one can see the fish to collect, unseen activity has very little affect.
The final possible reason is the one about which I am most concerned. That would be that the work on the project has already impacted the wild populations. Between the massive amounts of things flowing downstream from the project and the disruption to the free passage of water though the river system, is it possible the wild populations have already been negatively affected. Have things already reached the critical stage in terms of these fish?
To early to know, illegal collection and trade have had a higher impact of the population so far.

Janne
leisure_man

Post by leisure_man »

___
Last edited by leisure_man on 17 Aug 2014, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
wu19
Location 2: New jersey

Post by wu19 »

http://www.renewableenergymagazine.com/ ... t-20140717

http://www.macauhub.com.mo/en/2014/07/1 ... 5-billion/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/brazil-c ... 1405626366

I'm afraid that there is a bigger plan.. I'm afraid no one will stop that dam from getting built. There's just too much money invested into it....
leisure_man

Post by leisure_man »

___
Last edited by leisure_man on 17 Aug 2014, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
wu19
Location 2: New jersey

Post by wu19 »

Yup, because there is too many deals being made between China and Brazil. A lot of projects in the next couple years. Take advantage now

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/- ... -80823662/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2 ... -bad-idea/

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/belo-monte-d ... tal-crisis

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”