L144 spawn in community tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
alstare2000
Location 2: Toronto, Canada

L144 spawn in community tank

Post by alstare2000 »

Need some advice from the pros so one young pair of L144 just bred in my community tank just week after I got them. I'm still new at this hobby so extra tank is out of the question right now. Tank is 46gal with 10 neon tetras, 7 show guppies (males), 4 julii corry, 5 L144 the pair and 3 juvies. I have HOB fry saver large size driven by airpump providing light current and fresh water from the tank.
I was told that guppies will go after small fry so today I saw 3 wigglers that escaped the cave so i have put them in the fry saver rest is in the cave but i'm guessing more will come out. The wigglers are about day old.

Am I better off getting the guppies in fry saver for 2-3 weeks and leaving the fry in main tank or neon tetras would go after them as well. If they should go into fry saver can I move the cave into fry saver now before they escape let say at night and get eaten when I'm not around? Male is still guarding the cave.

Thank you
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: L144 spawn in community tank

Post by apistomaster »

Wrigglers ejected would need the protection isolation provides but for fully developed fry in your group of community fishes shouldn't be subject to any predation.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
alstare2000
Location 2: Toronto, Canada

Re: L144 spawn in community tank

Post by alstare2000 »

I have decided to put the ones that got kicked out and the rest of them out of the cave into the fry saver all doing good so far. Male was still kind of confused for day or two but then moved on.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”