Mixing tiny with large?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
David R
My cats species list: 12 (i:4, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Whangarei, New Zealand

Mixing tiny with large?

Post by David R »

I picked up my six gold nuggets today and they're even smaller than I expected!

They're currently in a 100L quarantine tank, and I'm a little reluctant to let them go in the 2000L at the size they are (~1"). With the geophagus, ~15 sterbai corys, four big Panaques and a few other smaller plecs I feed pretty heavily and there's usually plenty of food drifting around after, but I'm not sure if they'll be bold enough to come get it. I'm also a bit concerned about the size difference between them and the royals, which are all around 10" now. I've never seen the royals act aggressively to the other smaller plecs, but if they did the little nuggets wouldn't stand a chance.

I could leave them in the quarantine tank for a couple of months, but how fast are they going to grow at that size with good water and plenty of food?
The other option is to set up my empty 400L tank and give them six-or-so months in there to bulk up before going into the big tank. I'm not too keen on running another big[ish] tank for six little plecs (power bill is high enough already), but I'd rather that than lose them in the big tank.

Suggestions?
David R's 2000L tank build - now up and running with fish and water and stuff, check it out!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”