Breeding problems with Sturisomatichthys spec.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Mountain
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Berlin, Germany
Interests: Aquarium, Guitar, Fotography etc.

Breeding problems with Sturisomatichthys spec.

Post by Mountain »

Hi,
for years on end I tried to bring the larvae over the deadly border of the eight or ten week. About 80-90% die then, although I tried to feed them with nearly everything from CyclopEeze over HikariAlgaeWafers to Algae on a glass or mixed vegetables dried and frosted on stones etc.
Some say, that the larvae must stay in the water of the adults to get some intestinal bacteria of their parents.....
The larvae don't seem to look for food actively, food must get to them.
I tried different types of in the Aquarium hanging breeding boxes, of glas or some nets, until I think, now I found the best I can get, which is the Breeding Box BB11. It can be fixed outside the aquarium like a Rucksack, gets the water out of the aquarium by air-pump and the water inside will stay at the same height, when you change water in the aquarium. I feed Chlorella Powder now, which keeps on moving all over the box and the larvae can't but get lots of it in their mouth - so I hope.
Has someone here knowledge about another successful way of raising these catfish?
brutkasten_1.JPG
Attachments
brutkasten_3_mit_Chlorella.JPG
brutkasten_2.JPG
B W
Klaus
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: Breeding problems with Sturisomatichthys spec.

Post by apistomaster »

I would recommend trying earthworm sticks as the primary food for your fry and juveniles less than 5 cm long.
To the best of my knowledge, Sturisomatichthys spec., may be treated exactly like those of Sturisoma.
I found that early in their lives the fry seem to do best in shallow water with a brisk current. I provide some well aged waterlogged bogwood to be beneficial as cover and a grazing surface.
In this photo I was feeding Sturisoma hatched in a 45 cm tall aquarium but none ever survived until I began using small tanks and shallow water. Survival rate became about 75%.
Perhaps you will find my article helpful since I go into my methods and rationale in greater detail.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=412
The fry shown are just 2 days into their free swimming stage.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Yes, thanks a lot. It will help me surely. First I have to look for these Earthworm Sticks. I've never seen anything like that here in Germany......
B W
Klaus
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

There is a breeder here in the U.S. who raises Sturisoma using trout starter chow (very high protein). This is the food fed to trout fry.

He puts them into a shallow plastic container with an airstone and sits them on top of his aquarium. Adding some ramshorn snails is also key. They don't move for food well so keeping the container only 5-8 cm deep works best. Change water twice daily to prevent fouling. The ramshorns help eat unwanted food and may also be providing digestive bacteria for the fry.

Andy
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

This is the food fed to trout fry.
He puts them into a shallow plastic container with an airstone and sits them on top of his aquarium.
Andy
Hi Andy,
maybe it depends on the food, on different food, more than the AlgaeWafers I used to offer......
I'll try some protein the next time (there are about 70 new eggs at the aquariumside since yesterday...) :-)
B W
Klaus
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

While I've found earthworm sticks to work very well the important thing, imo, is that the food is high protein and doesn't rot fast. Nearly all these foods still have a significant amount of Spirulina and other ingredients. These fish are primarily carnivorous yet are grazers and so ingest considerable amounts of algae and other things found in it.
Think aufwiches. I hope I spelled that correctly.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

apistomaster wrote: Think aufwiches. I hope I spelled that correctly.
Thanks. Aufwuchs ;-)
B W
Klaus

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”