Please Help

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Nitae
Location 2: Staffordshire

Please Help

Post by Nitae »

Hi I am from Stoke on Trent and I have been keeping and breeding Plecos for about five/six years.

I purchased a Magnum L047 on Sunday and never realised until I got him back home that he is very lethargic and has a sunken belly. This morning I have noticed that his eyes are beginning to sink in too

My husband has always wanted one of these and it was a present for him, is there anyone who can please help me get him back to health.

Please help
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Re: Please Help

Post by apistomaster »

The prognosis is not good.
A fairly delicate species as this which is so far gone due to starvation and/or parasite load is usually going to die. There isn't any specific treatment which is likely to be successful.
Just providing good care and careful feeding in a quarantine tank is probably your best hope. I would probably treat it with flubendazole and praziquantel while the fish is in a quarantine tank. Those will help the fish fight off the parasites and having no competition until recovery is best as well.
Good luck.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Can you return him?
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
Nitae

Post by Nitae »

Unfortunately he died :((
I tried to speak to the person who sold him to me and he refused to accept responsibility even though his stomach was sunken when I had got him home. I wish I that I had put him back in the bag and took him back that day but I didn't and the seller said it was not his fault even though the fish that I brought at the same time died before I even got to the car, I should of given him both back then! :(( :(( :((
MrRRunner
My cats species list: 6 (i:6, k:3)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Stafford
Interests: Pleco's

Post by MrRRunner »

Sorry to hear of your loss, Baryancistrus can be difficult to acclimatize and as a previous poster said probably too late from the signs you described, if you decide to get another one at least you know what to look for, I always keep some stones that I rotate from tank to outside and back to tank in some water to get a natural biofilm/algae for any new arrivals.
Was this a shop or private purchase as I am often in Stoke-on-Trent and would like to steer clear of this seller, no need put it in this post but maybe you could PM me, Cheers.
CHRIS

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”