pleco suggestion requested

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
devakalpa
Location 2: Kolkata, India

pleco suggestion requested

Post by devakalpa »

Hello all,

This is a fantastic forum.

24 gallon (30X12X15H, sand bottom, roots, almond leaves, floating plants, TDS 88 ppm, KH 3 German Degrees, pH 6.8 (should drift lower with tannin slowly leaching from ) temp 30 C. moderately circulated. Natural indirect sunlight.

Current inhabitants - 4 ram cichlids about 2 cm each, 2 Scalare Angels - rather shy and 8 Cardinal Tetras. Plan to up the cardinals to about 15 at least.

Now the cat question. Originally was planning a group of 8 Corydoras sterbai. Now having second thoughts - the natural playfulness of Corys vs the peace and quiet and the Rams' sense of territory. Should I stick to them or maybe a pleco might be a good alternative? Or both?

Request your valuable suggestions. Please keep in mind the highish temperature and the size.

Thanks
Dev
Jay1
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 2: STOCKPORT

Re: pleco suggestion requested

Post by Jay1 »

Can't see a problem with the Sterbai (lots of Discus keepers have them in perams very similar to yours).

Re the Pleco's have a browse through these and just eliminate the larger ones (and the non Plecos obviously) and see what takes your fancy. They are all suited to your temp... http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/sea ... esults=100
vanillarum
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: USA, Massachusetts
Interests: fish, Disney, golf, scuba diving

Post by vanillarum »

Never give up until you have released your unused capacities for service and shared your gift with others. One enkindled spirit can set hundreds on fire.
William H. Danforth
devakalpa
Location 2: Kolkata, India

Post by devakalpa »

thanks Jay1 and vanillarum - good starting places. Not a great variety available in India though, still I'll try my luck.
Jay1
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 2: STOCKPORT

Post by Jay1 »

Perhaps there's a market for a local breeder then? Also an excuse to buy another tank or two :-BD

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”