accidental crossing

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
ddavila06
Location 2: Burke, VA

accidental crossing

Post by ddavila06 »

Howdy everyone! Recently, I decided to focus more on corydoras and plecostomus. I have a few ancistrus considered to be common : calico, red, green dragon variants, and then I have the "Pucallpa gold" ancistrus. Supposedly, these are an albino form of ancistrus from rio Pucallpa, somewhere in (Peru?). Well...I have them growing nice and healthy in a tank, breeding every now and then. I also have a lack of larger tanks so I added my trio of Calico Long Fin Plecos to their tank, in hopes to have them breed again..To my surprise, I just found my female calico getting cozy with the male pucallpa in a came.. Of course there are eggs in there... Should I destroy them? Keep them?? bad thing to happen???? Opinions welcome!

Photos of daddy pucallpa w his babies and mom calico, they would never let me take one from above
Attachments
calico
calico
dad-
dad-
daddy pucallpa and his babies
daddy pucallpa and his babies
Divemaster
My cats species list: 10 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Spotted: 13
Location 1: Pennsylvania, USA
Location 2: Pennsylvania, USA
Interests: Fish Tanks, Scuba Diving, Fishing, Boating, General Biology, CATFISH

Re: accidental crossing

Post by Divemaster »

I'd leave the eggs personally. The only thing I can think of that would happen would be you get some cool looking fry. I plan on purposely crossing the different color types of Ancistrus for next tank I setup for them to try and get uniquely colored fry.
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

The dad is a common albino bristlenose. With breeding with the calico (another line bred common bristlenose) you have no issues with the outcome.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
ddavila06
Location 2: Burke, VA

Post by ddavila06 »

nvcichlids wrote:The dad is a common albino bristlenose. With breeding with the calico (another line bred common bristlenose) you have no issues with the outcome.
the dad is a Pucallpa Gold ancistrus, or an albino form of the pucallpa ancistrus. my whole dilemma was that since this fish has collection data and a line (sort of), am I ruining this all? eh..i guess them eggs get to live
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 11 (i:8)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

Looking at the picture, your fish looks identical to every other common albino bristlenose. IMO, based on the fry in that breeder box, there look to be no non-albino fish which strongly suggests yours being common. Look at this . There is one picture, very few keepers and no albino pictures. It would be VERY shocking to me for there to be a line bred albino version of this fish in the hobby.

again IMO, you were taken by someone selling a fish under a wrong ID. It is common with BN. Lots of sellers will change the name to try to grab more attention to the fish they are selling.
What's your favorite Dressing~~
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

Actually there is no real concensus on whether Ancistrus sp. Pucallpa gold and Ancistrus sp(3) are different fish. Some say they are and others don't.

Swisstropicals was breeding and selling Ancistrus sp. Pucallpa gold as far back as 2008 so they have been in the hobby for quite a while.

Andy

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”