Frog eggs as food?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
tDONKEYi
Location 1: Salisbury NC
Location 2: USA

Frog eggs as food?

Post by tDONKEYi »

This is a two question post.

First, I've seen pictures and have read stories of various types of plecos eating fish eggs. Are they healthy for them? I'm sure some do it in their natural habitat.

Second, what about frog eggs? I'm mainly asking because where I work at we have tarp/plastic covered crates that fill with rain water. During the Spring time the frogs will lay their eggs in there. I don't know the species just that it is some sort of tree frog in North Carolina, United States.

Just want to mention that maybe 1% of those eggs will hatch into tadpoles, less than that will become frogs. We have to open those crates before most of them get a shot in the wild. I'd rather them be beneficial than get dumped on the ground to dry up and die.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Re: Frog eggs as food?

Post by Silurus »

Wouldn't the jelly surrounding the eggs make it difficult for the fish to eat them?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Several frog spp reproduce in my pond every year. Have never seen any fish even touch their egg masses.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:4)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

Toad eggs are mildly toxic. I have read stories of goldfish eating frog eggs but never observed it myself.

I would err on the side of caution and avoid feeding them to the fish. Besides, with the global extinction of frogs becoming a real possibility they could use all the help we can give them at this time. Maybe you could transfer the eggs to some other container?

Andy
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

I'm inclined to agree with Narwhal72's advice, and what was said about toad eggs (some are more than mildly toxic; some have killed humans). Having said that, some fish will eat the eggs of some frog spp. My only personal experience with this occurred with dwarf African frogs in a community tank. The eggs were eaten. I can't say by which fish, or whether the eggs sickened the fish. But I've never had any frog eggs survive in that tank.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

You could collect the eggs and wait for them to hatch. Tadpoles often make good feeding - and are far less toxic
cats have whiskers
tDONKEYi
Location 1: Salisbury NC

Post by tDONKEYi »

Narwhal72 wrote:Toad eggs are mildly toxic. I have read stories of goldfish eating frog eggs but never observed it myself.

I would err on the side of caution and avoid feeding them to the fish. Besides, with the global extinction of frogs becoming a real possibility they could use all the help we can give them at this time. Maybe you could transfer the eggs to some other container?

Andy

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm aware the frog populations are declining, that's why I mentioned the majority of the eggs/tadpoles never make it to become a frog. The "pools" of water that do make it through spring time, don't last long during the 90 degree plus summers we have.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Bas Pels wrote:You could collect the eggs and wait for them to hatch. Tadpoles often make good feeding - and are far less toxic
I'd be careful about that. Even tadpoles can be quite toxic, depending on spp. In the USA, our treefrogs and ranids are usually less toxic than our bufonids.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA

Post by Barbie »

You can buy fish roe at most asian markets, which I would think would be quite a bit more suited to this purpose ;).

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”