My L600 died

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
co77
Location 2: new york

My L600 died

Post by co77 »

Woke up this morning to find my L600 dead. Im super pissed I really liked this guy. He was eating like a champ no sunken belly or white stringy poop. Ate NLS, Massivore, Omega One, and frozen krill. His stomach would look round and full and looked like he was showing new growth. He is in a 150 gal with a pearsei, L200, vieja heterspilus, and spotted raph cat.

No one bothered this fish in fact I think they were scared of him. As soon as I added him to the tank he beat up the L200 and catfish. After that he didn't bother them again. The pearsei would get too close to him during feedings hoping to pick off pieces of food from him but he would quickly lash out at the pearsei who usually ran off.

Any ideas on why he could have just died ? Water is tested weekly with an api test kit nitrates never get above 20ppm. Temp is at 80 to 82

Someone mentioned that these plecos are sensitive to large water changes. Is there any truth to that ?
Last water change was 6 days ago and yesterday he looked fine at like a pig and was not hiding at all. He was probably 3.5 to 4 inches

I tracked down another one but want to make sure my bases are covered before I pick him up any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: My L600 died

Post by Linus_Cello »

Maybe it got bloat? Too much meaty food? I throw in zuchinni for my ottos, and my L114/600 will snack on them. I feed mine mainly xtreme scraper wafer.
Thomas
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Belgium
Location 2: Belgium

Post by Thomas »

co77,

traffic jam (intestines)
not unusual to carnivore types
you did nothing wrong, just unlucky

Thomas
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

You can just kill them with too much food in one feeding. This isn't bloat, it's just that they eat so much it affects their respiration. Their bellies can only expand in one direction, the rest is armour plates. Most carnivorous and omnivorous plecos can fall victim to this.

Jools
co77
Location 2: new york

Post by co77 »

Thanks guys whats a good amount to feed a few wafers along with some frozen krill everyday

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”