Zebra Plecos

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
hydrapleco
Location 1: Canada
Location 2: Ontario

Zebra Plecos

Post by hydrapleco »

Would like to get a zebra pleco for my tank. Not interested in breeding them. Should I buy two fry or just one fry? Would it do better if I kept two or one? Would they fight too much if I kept two?
carkichi
Spotted: 1
Location 2: London

Re: Zebra Plecos

Post by carkichi »

the link below will help you:
http://www.zebrapleco.com/index.php
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Re: Zebra Plecos

Post by TwoTankAmin »

While zebras are not ideal community tank residents, they can work. However, it is important to know these fish do like warm water and do need good oxygen levels. Moreover, a happy zebra is a hiding zebra which means, if you are giving it proper conditions, you will almost never see it. Also, they are not the best competitors for food, so the other fish in a tank are also a consideration.

Only males tend to fight and this will be over territory. Females will fight in a colony setting but what they are fighting over is the right to spawn with the alpha male. They will not fight seriously until they are well beyond the fry stage.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”