Back in the game L14

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 1: USA
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Back in the game L14

Post by mcaquatic »

So its been a while since I got back into plecos. Do to a very long moving process I had to get out of them from a while. Thanks do a great member, codonmyrod, I have what I think is a pair. Please give me your opinion. I also have some questions on male and female behavior. The one I think is a male doesn't leave his cave. The one I am hoping is a female is in and out of her cave and hangouts out all over the place. IS this behavior characteristic of the sexes?
tagamasid1023
My cats species list: 35 (i:35, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Chicago, IL
Interests: Leporacanthicus Triactis & Leporacanthicus Heterodon

Re: Back in the game L14

Post by tagamasid1023 »

Both are males based on those head shots. Square heads and tapered bodies from head to tail.
Females do get into caves no doubt. Especially if hiding places is scarce. Males also do spend time in the cave of their choice but not all day long. Mine do come out anytime he smells tetra food.
mcaquatic
My cats species list: 67 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 34
Location 2: somerville, NJ

Re: Back in the game L14

Post by mcaquatic »

thanks I was leaning towards males too now but large females do not tend to have very obvious tapered heads too. I have the two in an 8 ft 180 gallon. The floor print is 8 ft by 18 inches. Not sure if this will support 4-5 goldies. Think in stead will do a L25 trio in this tank and a group of L14 in my 250.

We just moved into a new house and I refinished part of the basement as my fish room. I want to get mostly into plecos and pike cichlids with one large group of panda uarus. I just need to figure out how I am going to allocate everything.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”