Ancistrus type 'show' plec

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Stuartbolton1
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:24)
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: England

Ancistrus type 'show' plec

Post by Stuartbolton1 »

Hi all, I currently have 3 Teminckii gold juvies and would like to add a 'showstopper' plec of around the same size (adult size up to 20cm) my tank is 120cm long. Plenty of caves in there etc. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to pleco in general but have bred Teminckii before, hence those being in there growing on.

Any advice and suggestions would be grateful. I've seen some very interesting looking plecs such as peppermint ancistrus and these would contrast nicely with the gold Teminckii. But I'm open to further suggestions. As long as the fish doesn't destroy the community that I've built up of inverts and small SA tetras etc.

I have found this and was wondering if something like this would be suitable?

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... ge_id=1139
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Re: Ancistrus type 'show' plec

Post by Linus_Cello »

Yes, the flash L204 would do well in the tank. The problem with most plecos (showstopper or not) is that they like to hide. So gorgeous pleco (L46 zebra) but hides in a cave all day.
I have several L204s, and they do hide, but they are fairly visible since I have 4, and they are always quarreling with each other so they are visible more (not just hiding). So my advice would be to get multiples of L204s.
Stuartbolton1

Post by Stuartbolton1 »

Thanks for the response. If I got more than one would there be a problem with over breeding?
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

Finding homes for L204 fry should not be an issue!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

L204 are fairly tricky to breed.
Stuartbolton1

Post by Stuartbolton1 »

Hi again, I have been looking around the local shops and websites of some slightly further afield and found some very interesting plecos that may or may not be suitable to my set up. What are your thoughts? In my tank I have driftwood with plants attached and mopani wood with moss covering it almond leaves on the floor slate and 'reptile' caves x3 plus a couple of other caves made from the driftwood. I have lots of plants in there making it a amazon biotope and some rocks I have an eheim canister filter in the tank as well as an external filter providing more than enough filtration.

The fish - as well as the Teminckii I have 12 cardinals, 10 black neons, a mix of 10 corys and 3 rams. None of whom take up any of the caves...

The selection of plecos I have come across and seen are:
L002
L066 (personal favourite)
L168/L52 (butterfly plec - I like these but someone said they were not too easy to breed... and I would like to have a go at some point with any of the fish I buy even if it is an accident.
L178
L257
L340 (again personal favourite, but I worry about the feeding requirements)
L333 (Love these)
L450
L400
L184
L106
L129 (like these)
L204 (these seem a good choice with their requirements? And you guys seem to think they would be ok, however I can only get 2" juvies and they dont have many left, also is £17.99 a decent price for L204? to me it seems very reasonable but their other fish seemed overpriced in comparison with their competitor)
L183

Please let me know what you think... I have read up on each using the Planet Catfish profiles and seen which could be ok from that, but those profiles can only tell you so much. Any other advice for housing these type of L numbers with ancistrus as they mature in my tank would be gratefully received. Especially from anyone with first hand experience with them.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

L204 are one of my favorites. But they are also voracious wood eaters and will strip your driftwood bare and fill your tank up with pleco poop unless you vacuum frequently.

I think you might be better off with a more carnivorous species like L340 or L333 in order to keep your display looking really nice.

Andy
Stuartbolton1

Post by Stuartbolton1 »

Ok that's L204 out then, no matter how nice they look, I can't have my driftwood disappearing! I thought although it said wood eaters they wouldn't literally eat most of it...?

I have also just read that L333 shouldn't be kept with any other bottom dwelling species and herbivours? So that could rule those out? I do feed the cichlids half a frozen discus/bloodworm/etc cube every other day and as a treat they get live foods on the occasion I'm passing the fish shop. Would that be ok if I just put an extra half a cube in and tied it down somehow to the bottom so that the carnivore cats got the food first?

I think I'm leaning towards the hypancistrus or other canivores.
Stuartbolton1

Post by Stuartbolton1 »

Ok I have made a decision, I am buying at least 1 L204 because I just love the look of it!!! I am not too bothered about the wood after reading various articles and doing extensive research it seems they are not as voracious as first thought on the wood? IF all goes well with one I may get another in future.

I will then buy a pair for now of either L450, L400 or L333 whichever I like the look of in the shop best. I'm leaning more towards the L333 and L400 from the pics I've seen just because of the fin extensions. Again I had read that L333 couldn't be kept with Corys but then in other articles and in other forum posts people's comments seemed to contradict that.

Hopefully it will all be fine?
Stuartbolton1

Post by Stuartbolton1 »

Ok I bought L204 (one male I believe it to be) and a pair of L333 with one being a larger cream and brown male and the other a darker brown and light cream female but smaller. I haven't seen her since but the flash panaque and L333 male I have seen a few times. Pleased with my choices so far but hoping that the smaller female has settled ok and wasnt too stressed from the move. Hope to see her again soon!!!

If not I may end up going back and buying another pair from pier aquatics.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”