Recommendation for a plec?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
nikirushka
Location 2: UK

Recommendation for a plec?

Post by nikirushka »

Hello :)

I have just bought a new big tank, 72" x 21"D x 18"H. I have bristlenoses currently but when I get the big one set up, I would like to change to a single larger type.

The tank will be unheated most of the year (heater for winter to keep it stable but that's it) and the temp stays at 21-22C.

Can anyone suggest a species that could live happily at that temp and not outgrow the tank? I imagine up to about a foot long would be ok. Tankmates will be smallish barbs (golds, arulius, rhombos) and spotted hoplos and the setup is amazon biotope type thing - no live plants, lots of wood/branches and some rocks and slate, and sand as the substrate.

Thanks!
Triactis Trainer
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Philadelphia

Re: Recommendation for a plec?

Post by Triactis Trainer »

Hi there!

With the specifications to the tank you are planning to populate, there are hundreds of options you could have. I think it may be easier to see what is available to you in your area, or even online first off. After searching and finding a larger species you like, try and do some in depth research on it to make sure you can care for them well. I found it easier to go to a LFS and see what they have to offer before searching endlessly online for the exact species I wanted.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”