Jumping Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
vespasian
Location 1: uk
Location 2: Northumberland

Jumping Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus

Post by vespasian »

Could anyone give me any ideas about why my female ancistrus has started trying to jump/climb out of my tank?

The tank is 180L. It has fine gravel 1.5-2.5mm, lots of bog wood, some slate caves and is lightly planted.
Filters, Fluval 206 and Eheim pickup 160
PH = 7.2
GH = 8
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
Temp = 25c (has been reaching 26c for the odd day this summer)
Tank mates are 6 julii cory and around 15 mixed platy.
I do weekly 25% water changes using seachem prime.

I have had the tank set up for around 3 years now and apart from removing baby platies to a grow out tank there have been no recent additions. In the last two or three days, mostly in the early evening, I have been hearing splashing and have found the BN climbing almost totally out of the water. She has always been very chilled out around the other fish but constantly active during the day. Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing her to behave like this? Thanks in advance for any help.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Re: Jumping Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus

Post by JamesFish »

If she is not jumping at around the time you change the water its not likely to be the cause. She sounds like she might be hungry going for algae around the water line perhaps.
vespasian
Location 1: uk
Location 2: Northumberland

Re: Jumping Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus

Post by vespasian »

Thanks for the reply, the thought had occurred to me that she might be after algae on the underside of the lid. She has been munching happily on cucumber today and as yet no sign of any further escape attempts. When she is on the front glass her tummy is the right shape, not sunken or too bloated. I have cleaned the lid off today and will just have to keep an eye on it.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”