How big tank you keep pterygoplichthys pardalis?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Kaetsy
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Pori

How big tank you keep pterygoplichthys pardalis?

Post by Kaetsy »

So, here is my question :) about year ago, i rescue little brown, dark spotted pleco in too small(and cold) gold fish tank. Then i didnt know what pleco it was. My tank is about 500liter (115 gallon) and the ground is 200cm x 50cm (78inch x 20inch) . When that pleco is adult that is not enough ? (If they Grow 20inch long in aquarium?)
How long it takes these plecos are full-size? I know it depends Many things, so maybe i need to ask how long it takes your pleco is full-size? he is now about 9inch .
I ask that because i can/want take bigger aquarium just i can keep that pleco, but my apartment floors is risk.
The current aquarium is good for me if this pleco fit to live there his life :)
I have also L200, L075 and L204 in same tank and couple cichlid species :)

There couple photo : (clik to get it bigger)

Whole tank
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: How big tank you keep pterygoplichthys pardalis?

Post by Bas Pels »

If you realize Pt pardalis will grow to 35 cm, I would not consider your tank is f sufficient size.

A fish should be able to turn around in a tank - that is, a 35 cm fish will need 70 cm from front to back.

Were your tank 200 * 70 * 50 cm, that is 700 liters, I would consider it sufficient. 500 is a bit of a tight fit, but the real problem is the distance from front to back
cats have whiskers
Kaetsy
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Finland
Location 2: Pori

Post by Kaetsy »

Yes, i know how big it grows, and i know maybe more than 35cm... When i take him i didnt know what species he is but now when i know im worried about that.
Just why i think how fast it grows in that size...? Because i'm ready to take bigger tank - but not in this house (old house and the floors isn't good) . I live there maybe a year more (is other reasons also why i move not just tank :d )
I mean that when i say tank is enough big for me IF that pleco fit to live there, but if it doesn't i can take littlebit bigger. It is real problem that tank is only 50cm from front to back :(
And p.pardalis is growing so fast im worried is it too big too fast and of course i find him new home then ...but it will broke my heart :((
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

Don't know about P pardalis, but I got P gibbiceps @ 6 cm in October 2003. They were 17 cm after a year, and 30 after another

Now I think they don't grow anymore, and measure some 50 cm - including 10 cm of fin on the tail

Assuming P pardalis has a similar growth pattern, they would take 2 years to get from 20 cm to 40 (that is, including the tail fin)
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”