What fish are okay in a bn pleco breeding aquarium?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
fseinc
Location 1: USA
Location 2: WA

What fish are okay in a bn pleco breeding aquarium?

Post by fseinc »

I have plans to breed a pair of bristlenose plecos in a densely planted tank, it already gas one of the plecos and a trio of platys, would some nano/dwarf rasboras or something similar not eat fry/eggs? I love my pleco and cant wait to get it a mate but I do want some upper water action
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Re: What fish are okay in a bn pleco breeding aquarium?

Post by NCE12940 »

I've had successful BN spawns in a planted tank with Madagascar and Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (much larger than the nano fish you mentioned). If the BN male is any good nobody can get near the eggs. The only time I saw a baby eaten was when one was swimming. When they're suckering around on stuff the Rainbowfish ignored them, even when they were clearly visible on the glass. Needless to say, I made sure the Bows were well fed.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Marble hatchet fish - When they do a line up are really good and should be fry safe for anything
mountainman36
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:119)
Location 2: Atlanta Georgia USA

Post by mountainman36 »

most any nano fish would be fine. no anabantids (gouramis) and cory cats would be ok as well. most things wont bully the pleco for the eggs, but they may eat the fry, but the cory cats and most small tetras woudnt bother the fry

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”