Any tips for breeding ABNS?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Any tips for breeding ABNS?

Post by pleconut »

Hi folks, with my group of L397s approaching their first birthday, and already seemingly engaging in pre - spawning activity -cave sharing, males fanning ( no eggs or fry, so are most likely displaying to females ). So I need to get me in some pleco breeding experience. I have a trio of ABNs and i think they are old enough to breed ( 4 inch total length) big enough to breed?The male digs under the caves and fans out in the open (displaying again i think) but the females show no signs of being gravid yet. Over the next few weeks I'm going to gradually be getting the parameters more appropriate by taking softer water with a lower ph from the L397s tank, rather than using my inappropriate tap water. I have caves in the tank now with the ABNS, but I think the caves are too big. I was going to remove them,-but still provide hiding spots- for a while, during which time I was going to feed them well with a variety of foods, increase flow, and carry out some cooler water changes and then one day present them with a proper size cave in the hope it will be enough to get them spawning. Will this approach work? I know it's back to basics for many of you, but all input is appreciated so thanks in advance.
Thanks Teresa
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)
Location 2: USA

Re: Any tips for breeding ABNS?

Post by CharlieM9 »

Teresa, with common type bristlenose I would just increase feeding and water, also give them that appropriate sized cave sooner than later. That cave along with more food for the females may be all they really need....
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Thanks for that. I will put the cave in. Its usually opening a can of worms so to speak with the BNs finding space for fry and all that =)) . Once i've enough practise in i will rehome them.
Thanks Teresa
CharlieM9
My cats species list: 72 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:3, p:724)
Location 2: USA

Post by CharlieM9 »

Yeah, one thing to take into account though, at least in my opinion, is comon BN fry can give you a false sense of confidence when attempting to deal with more finicky fry. Best way is to just get spawns and try different ways for the first couple (yes you may lose a lot more fry certain ways versus others and that sucks, but it will lead to better/higher yields in long run) times and see what works best for you.

I personally always pull to a custom hatching container when they are close to absorbing yolk sac (I like to leave with dad as long as possible), then move them again to growout tanks after they are at a certain size I feel comfortable they will be fine (again this varies from species to species).
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Hi Teresa,

I think CharlieM9 is correct. My ABNs bred like crazy without any special preparation or conditioning. I had to stop them, and I did so by removing their caves. Recently I added a cave back into their tank, but I used a cave which has an opening which is really big, such that the fish don't appear to want to breed (specifically the female; the male sits in the cave and he does everything in his power to lure her into the cave).

Just take care of them with good food and give them some different sized caves of about 1 - 1.5 inch diameter (if their entrances are round), and they'll probably get right to business. They are so easy to breed, you won't need any dither fish, but if there are other fish in the tank, just make sure the other fish aren't bothering the ABNs.

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

No other fish in the tank. I have noticed that the entrance to the cave they have now has been partially, blocked by a small piece of driftwood. Whether or not they have been moving the furniture i dont know but also male also does chase the females around a lot. It is my intention to try out different methods such as raising fry then finally hatching eggs myself. At first i hope to be able to leave fry if i can until they need a grow out tank. I say i hope, but this is assuming it goes to plan, and the new dad gets it right first time.
Thanks Teresa
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Removing their caves :)) =)) :)) =)) that's one way of doing it! But I've even heard they will do it in a flourescent pink castle! Though I'm not in any way suggesting that you keep such decor in your fish tanks. :ymblushing:
Thanks Teresa
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:6)
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

I thought they bred without water in the tank, pleco rabbits is the proper term =))
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

catfishchaos wrote:I thought they bred without water in the tank, pleco rabbits is the proper term =))
Yep, I read that somewhere... and I think I repeated it in my thread too! =)) :)) =)) :)) :YMPARTY:
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

:d they have water! :-O :((, another instruction i read was... just add water... possibly containing some bromide... =)) just joking- but i do have a 250 litre tank for babies if they start with the rabbit antics =))
Thanks Teresa
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have had them spawn inside a sponge filter, twice. The only guaranteed way to prevent bn from spawning is to keep the two sexes in different tanks, imo

Tricks that may help trigger them. I found that two foods seem to help. One is blood worms and the other, oddly, is canned green beans, aka string beans (No Salt added is important here). I would suggest feeding the blood worms at most twice a week for a couple of weeks. The green beans can be fed more often. Split open the bean and remove the seeds before feeding.

The only guaranteed way to prevent bn from spawning is to keep the two sexes in different tanks, imo
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Thanks I know they will find somewhere to spawn i've read they are able to even on open substrate. I think in a Shanes World article. Once I've had the required experience i will separate them or re -home. I know some LFS breed their own.
Thanks Teresa
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

So, i got the green beans and bloodworm , for the ABNs. Maybe my L397s will eat the green beans also ,they are looking a bit tubby, not overly concerned, but i'm cutting back on the protein containing foods a bit, just in case. The male ABN has decided that he now wants one of the original caves. My task list over xmas, is to give the ABNs a larger home with a selection of different sized caves, and yes a sponge filter, im holding back on the flourescent pink castle for now (just joking i grew out of having these in fish tanks a very long time ago!)
=)) :)) Fingers crossed i will see some breeding activity.
Thanks Teresa
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

pleconut wrote:... holding back on the flourescent pink castle for now (just joking i grew out of having these in fish tanks a very long time ago!)
Why do I doubt that? :))
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Re-edited post - removed link. Thanks guys for your input so far on this topic.
Last edited by pleconut on 24 Dec 2015, 22:27, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks Teresa
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

You call that a castle? Honey, I can't imagine what your current home is.

No matter, now I know what to get my kid for his Christmas present... Does Amazon deliver on same day if it's Dec 24?
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

I wouldn't think so but, you could try.
Thanks Teresa
Taratron
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona, USA
Location 2: Phoenix, AZ
Interests: Fish, herps, the Discworld novels, Invader Zim, and entomology

Post by Taratron »

I know all my bns have stopped breeding at temps over 85.
But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I will be unique in all the world..... You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”