Best pleco for my 65 gallon tank

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Magpie
Location 1: Portland, OR
Location 2: USA

Re: Best pleco for my 65 gallon tank

Post by Magpie »

Crud! I missed that they can be 10 inches. I read in a couple spots that they can be in a 50-70 gallon..... Argh.... I was getting excited about them. ;)

I do have a couple of caves. I could buy a pleco tube thing if you guys thought it would be worth it.

I just need a huge tank to fill with all of the fish I want. :)
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

Usually the caves designed for plecos are for breeding, i only see tails sticking out much of the time. As long as the pleco, or each one, if a group, has a place to hide if they want to they should be ok. On the plus side bristlenoses are quite easy to breed, if you ever wanted to attempt to do so. Research is important as breeding BNs can entail lots of work, as they potentially, can breed prolifically
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

I got a para! I spoke with the Wet Spot pleco guy and he said 6-7 inches is more typical for these guys and the 65 should be fine. I did pull out one piece of wood (at the base of the left branch) so there's a bit more floor space. She (total guess, they are hard to sex I understand) is very visible and active. She has a few favorite spots but I can always find or see her. I mostly see her on rocks, plants, or substrate. She isn't as into the wood (so far). She's not yet active at feeding time but I'm sure she'll settle in more. I put in plec pellets at dark, also cucumber last night along with frozen brine shrimp but have no idea if she's eaten any of that. She does graze the rocks and plants. She is so beautiful!

I want to go back and get a group of rummy nose tetras this week. Still thinking of getting an ancistrus as well but am not positive. The blue seams are really cool looking. I am also contemplating sturisoma or a couple of high dorsal whiptails. ;)
Last edited by Magpie on 30 Dec 2015, 05:28, edited 2 times in total.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Nice choice. Enjoy your para (and whatever else you end up getting)!

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

That means my para can too stay in a smaller tank, he is about. 6 inches now. I guess it is a male as he has an impressive amount of intopercular odontodes.
Thanks Teresa
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Just as you mentioned it, and for your benefit, the rummynose tetras IME, are difficult to acclimatise, and don't take too kindly to trip back from the LFS, maybe I just got a bad batch. I have hard water, and in my tanks it takes considerable time to soften, in your first post you mentioned your water is soft so it should be Ok. The tank you've photographed looks suitable for them.

Good luck!
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

This tank is very well established and my LFS has very healthy fish. I have had no problem (knock on wood) with acclimatizing fish, and since my water is soft, I think they'll be ok. I acclimatize them as recommended per the wet spot, and it seems to work well. The nice thing about having a reputable and close by LFS is that the fish don't need to undergo shipping stress so that's also certainly in my favor.

This pleco is so active - just what I was looking for. I'll post some photos of her in the next day or so. Maybe the experts then can vote male or female. ;)

Thanks again!
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Good news the pleco is doing well and active. What size is she? Mine, as I mentioned, I think is a male, therefore, he spends most of his time in the cave, also you're fortunate that the wet spot LFS is near you, and some v. good ones in US also from what I know of, its a decent LFS. Here in the UK, I have to travel quite a distance to get to the good quality ones in my region, I live five minutes walking distance from my nearest, but from experience, I now try to avoid buying fish there.
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

If you count the tail, she is about 4 inches.

I feel REALLY lucky to have that LFS and I also have another one closer to me that is smaller but they do a pretty good job as well.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

When you get the photos for sexing try to get a close up, clear shot of the gill area. In my male he has quite some odontodes sticking out. Although they can be one more of the difficult plecos to sex, from what i heard. If a male there may be the start of some growth, as they become sexually mature at relatively a small size. I go on behavioural characteristics also, the fact she is out and about more as opposed to hiding indicates that it is very possibly a she. :d
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Ok, good to know! I have some with my good camera, so I might be able to zoom in also.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Here's a pic of my one, (the day I got him)
20151120_150500~2.jpg

I named him Champion. :d
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

I love them! :)
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

When i get around to upgrading the display tank, 2 more plecos will go in with him. L014 Scobiancistrus Auratus, Sunshine Pleco and a L264 Leporacanthicus Joselimai, Sultan pleco- reasearch pending!
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

I eyed up the Sultan too! I can't remember why I took them off my list from the top of my head. They have those at my LFS too. Also beautiful!
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Too many plecos - not enough tanks!
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Saw her eat her first prepared food - she went nuts over Repashy omnivore. So at least I know she'll take prepared food.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

I will have to try this one myself. The repashy foods i feed my other plecos are good. Also good to know she's eating and settling in. Feeding can be sometimes be tricky at first.
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Yes, I am always a little worried with new wild caught fish eating.

Here she is. I'll have to try to get an underside photo - is that the best angle for the gills?

She seems to have chosen a cave on the side of the tank where the canister filter spraybar is. :)
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

They do like a bit of flow re the choice of cave location, shortening the spraybar would increase it, but it may move the plants around. For sexing, a good close up shot of the head from a side angle including up to where the pectoral fins start, a dorsal view direct from above on a light background, and a clear shot of the ventral view from underneath and the vent itself, you will probably need to catch her to get these pics, but I'd advise you to allow her to settle longer before doing so, as she might become stressed by this. These are one of more difficult plecos to sex from the hemiancistrus genera. There may be others here on the forum that have a good eye for sexing para plecos, so other pics from different angles also may help. Allowing her to eat well for a time and getting her to really good condition -not that she's not now she looks really good, will increase the chance of establishing the actual sex.
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Thanks! It's not important enough to me to sex her to catch her... But I'll try to get a zoomed/cropped pic when I can.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

I think that's best for her, and to wait for her to settle in and establish well beforehand.
Thanks Teresa
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

Not a great pic, but she is definitely peaceful - here sharing an algae wafer with a few kuhlis.

And a blurry shot of my other new addition. :d Also already out and about - visible plecos, yes! Just what I wanted.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

That's a nice one, i assume it's a blue seam ancistrus. Good taste in pleco choice you have.
Thanks Teresa

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”