Sexing of Farlowella vittata.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
PeterJ
Location 1: Breadsall.
Location 2: Derby. England
Interests: Ornithology, Botany, Ichthyology, Photography & Cacti.

Sexing of Farlowella vittata.

Post by PeterJ »

I have just ordered some additional Farlowella acus to increase my collection. What did arrive were Farlowella vittata! I now have three excellent specimens. I know that sexing of F.acus is by the odontodes on the rostrum. My new specimens are all 22cm in length, from tip of rostrum to the caudal peduncle, excluding the tail. So, according to my info, they should be adult? What are the most reliable methods of sexing them please.There are more to be had, if they happen to be all male or female. Any help will be greatly appreciated, ^:)^
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Re: Sexing of Farlowella vittata.

Post by catfishchaos »

Males will still show odontode growth below their eyes or on their rostrums for most species I believe. you could also compare the genital papillae (though i'm not sure what differences you would be looking for). Amazonas cover this in their whiptail edition in depth with pictures and diagrams if your a subscriber to that magazine.

Give this a read

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworl ... cle_id=298
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Chinafishboy
Location 1: Beijing
Location 2: beijing
Interests: Small fish, alien basketball, the tea ceremony

Post by Chinafishboy »

PeterJ wrote:I have just ordered some additional Farlowella acus to increase my collection. What did arrive were Farlowella vittata! I now have three excellent specimens. I know that sexing of F.acus is by the odontodes on the rostrum. My new specimens are all 22cm in length, from tip of rostrum to the caudal peduncle, excluding the tail. So, according to my info, they should be adult? What are the most reliable methods of sexing them please.There are more to be had, if they happen to be all male or female. Any help will be greatly appreciated, ^:)^
Males rostrum longer (shorter) certain varieties and after the mature will grow dense brush (there's always a few exceptions) females rostrum narrow and short, after the mature abdomen is big, the abdomen is very prominent in the branches like the skinny body. And females generally smaller than males. Transfer information, can under reference.
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

if you click on this It will take you to species page which has some comparison photos of males and females and a couple breeding tips as well ;)
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

This rather lengthy topic details my breeding efforts with them, including lots of male/female comparison photos of both adults and juveniles:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =5&t=40912

I found that I could tell the sexes apart at about 8 months old and 100mm long. The two survivors from my first successfully raised brood are now churning out grandkids.

Forgive my layman's language. The difference in noses is very obvious with a male/female side by side. Females have a smooth rounded nose with a knob on the end. Males have a flatter wider nose which is hairy.
PeterJ
Location 1: Breadsall.
Location 2: Derby. England
Interests: Ornithology, Botany, Ichthyology, Photography & Cacti.

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you for your responses. I now know where to start. I shall start with the 'noses' and work my way down to the genital papillae (naughty bits) as I used to tell my ornithology students.I need to photograph them, and then learn how to put them on here. Here's wishing you A Very Happy New Year.Peter J.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”