Question re the scientific description of Peckoltia Sabaji, AKA para pleco, L075.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Question re the scientific description of Peckoltia Sabaji, AKA para pleco, L075.

Post by pleconut »

Gets a bit confusing for me this one, I own an adult para pleco and want to find him/her a mate. But plan to then keep temporarily with a trio of Leopard frogs L134 with them, while the fish room s in progress, and then later separate them out into separate tanks for various breeding attempts. Is potential for cross genus hybridisation a general law of nature, obviously it happens with synos, other plecos, cory groups I can think of others too, not necessarily catfiish though. Unravelling this is quite confusing to me particularly when species have gone through a number of scientific redescriptions as has L075, Can anyone shed any light on this at all please. Thanks in advance.
Teresa.
Thanks Teresa
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 941
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Question re the scientific description of Peckoltia Sabaji, AKA para pleco, L075.

Post by Jools »

I'm not aware of natural hybridisation involving two genera that are generally accepted as monophyletic. Peckoltia is a paraphylectic mess; P. sabaji should probably be an Ancistomus and Hemiancistrus should be things like H. medians. In short, L075 and L134 are very unlikely to hybridise.

Jools
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Re: Question re the scientific description of Peckoltia Sabaji, AKA para pleco, L075.

Post by pleconut »

I would have thought the same given the circumstances around the scientific description. This helps me to know mixing them shouldn't be a problem in this respect. Thank you for advice in this.
Thanks Teresa

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”