Can Hypancistrus over-eat meat and get bloat?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Re: Can Hypancistrus over-eat meat and get bloat?

Post by Barbie »

To properly prepare brussel sprouts for feeding, simply buy a bag of them frozen, drop the frozen sprout in a cup of boiling hot water, and wait a few minutes until the water has cooled. Take the tender sprout, cut it in half, and then squeeze a bit. Drop that in the tank and fish will descend on it within a few moments. Your house will smell of cabbage farts for a day or two, but that's the price you pay for making your fish happy ;).

And I cook brussel sprouts in butter, with caramelized onions and a bit of bacon, then add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. It's yummy! :p

Barbie
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Barbie, if you did that to a piece of an old tire off the side of the road, it would likely taste yummy too. :-p It is probably a good thing fish do not have a nose. If you think about it, most fish food doesn't smell very nice........

Also, can't you just set the cup of boiling hot water someplace out side before you drop in the sprout into it? That way your house would not smell for a few days. Maybe a small wooden building in the back yard- you could call it the outhouse? :-p :-p
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Barbie wrote:It's yummy! :p
Glad to see I'm not the only one eating them :D
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

The smell comes from them being in the tank, but I think the fish will have trouble getting outside ;).

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”