Please help with 10 year old Plec

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
orange
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Florida
Location 2: USA

Please help with 10 year old Plec

Post by orange »

We have a common plec about 13". He usually decorates the tank like crazy!
All water parameters are normal. Our water is hard and alkaline. Always has been.
Temp is in the 80 degree range.
Water change of 30-40% once a week.
2 hanging filters.
Tank about 30 gallons.
Always has been.
Used to share with a goldfish but he passed almost a year ago. :(

In the past few months he has had a few bouts of constipation.
We were feeding a tetra algae wafer (the solid green one) in the early am when we wake
and a slice of zuccini and then a slice of yellow squash in the pm before bed - also we would throw in a second algae wafer. Once a week or so we would throw in a tetramin tablet instead of the algae wafer for extra protein. He always ate well and eliminated accordingly!

One time 2 algea wafers got stuck together and another time he seemed extra hungry so we put 2.
We think maybe that's why he got blocked up?
We fasted him for a day, gave peas which he seems to nibble but not a lot.
Put in the zuccini and after a week or so he started going again, though not quite as much - and then he stopped again. We figure we went back to his regular diet too quickly?
It's been about a week - did the same fast for a day, put peas. Saw some small poo.
Been putting in zuccini which he devours.
He looks normal, eats normal - but WHERE'S THE LONG POO???!!!

Has anyone ever experienced this or know what this could be?
We're at a loss as to what to do!
No algae wafers for a few days - only zuccini.
Are we feeding to little?
But we don't want to block him more!

Please advise!
Thank you very much! :)
naturalart
I've donated: $45.00!
My images: 3
My cats species list: 37 (i:18, k:10)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:3)
My Wishlist: 3
Spotted: 14
Location 1: Oakland
Location 2: California
Interests: catfish, nature

Re: Please help with 10 year old Plec

Post by naturalart »

Generally, "long poo" is not a good sign for fish. Usually means either they are eating the wrong food, too much food or they are having internal issues. If the "long poo" goes away, I wouldn't worry about it. Its probably a good thing. Large fish can go several days without eating much. I think its no different for you pleco.
A couple of things stand out in your assessment.With a 10yr old fish, age can be a factor.
Also, in my opinion, the 30g is too small for a fish that size. Luckily you've been very good with your water changes. That's been your saving grace. Generally you want to keep a 13" algae eater in something more like a 100g. with a large cannister filter on it. Then you wouldn't have to clean/change water as often. You can also stunt the growth of a fish by keeping them in too small a tank. Although, I don't think thats the case here if its a its reach a pretty mature size. That said, not everyone can do everything perfectly for their fish. If you don't have room to expand or you can't afford a big cannister filter yet: I say you don't have to necessarily, fix what aint broke right away, especially if you and the fish are 'happy'.
orange
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Florida
Location 2: USA

Post by orange »

Thank you very much for responding! He does seem a tad bloated - though eating his zuccini.
Is one slice of zuccini (round slice on a veggie clip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) a day enough for a fish that big?? What about algae wafers? Should we try add one a day? Should we fast him for a day? Or more? We just hate to see him go hungry! We would assume if he's bloated & blocked that he wouldn't eat...? Or would he still eat? Not sure what to do! But there really isn't much poo in there... Any suggestions?
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

My 2¢
Last edited by naturalart on 20 Apr 2016, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
naturalart

Post by naturalart »

Your plec is pretty much full size now, so what you've been doing is fine: supplementing a good variety of fresh and staple foods. This plec is omnivorous but the majority of its diet is vegetable based. It has a long intestinal tract and because it is a 'villiform' (my word) it derives a good bit of its diet through algae and microorganisms it scrapes from the surface of the rocks, glass and other 'furniture' in your tank. Which is one of the reasons it would be an improvement if you were to increase the size of your tank/filtration, giving it more surface areas for browsing. Your plec will 'tell' you when its hungry and when its not. Just keep on watching its behavior as you have been, and work from there. Food that just sits in the tank builds pollution.
Finally, you have a mature fish. Like people, as a fish is growing it needs more nutrition, once it matures it requires less. Fish, in general, never stop growing but once they hit 'mature' size metabolism slows somewhat. This is what you may be experiencing with your fish. My 2¢

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”